Turn around time? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 15th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Turn around time?

**I would search for this, as I'm sure it's posted, but I'm getting a weird WARNING when I click search**

Just curious:
What is your average turn around time? What is your target turn around time? What is the fastest you've completed something, and the longest it's taken you?
Old December 15th, 2008, 06:39 PM   #2
Major Player

I always tell the clients between 3 to 5 months just to cover myself but on average 4 months.

but at present i am working on weddings which are 3 months old so i guess it just varies.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM   #3
Tourist

For small events like nightclubs and such I do a one week turn around (REALLY BAD IDEA). For bigger events maybe 2 or 3 weeks, but never months... I would be an angry client if I waited months for my project to come back :(
Erica Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:45 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm caught up now, so it will be interesting to see if I can keep up this year and keep my turnaround times to a minimum. The longest wait was 3 months, but I've been around the 2 month range. Btw, here is the other "turnaround" thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...ound-time.html
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 06:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

this has been beat to death in other threads but one more time.
For WEDDINGS-I tell the clients 12 to 14 weeks and try to turn within 8 to 10. When the season is just getting going it's 4 to 6. I do about 60 weddings a year and there is GOING to be a backlog at some point.

For CORPORATE work, it depends on the work. I've done 24 hour turnaround and I've done 24 day turn. It depends on the client and their realistic needs.

TV commericals depend on the client as well but generally faster is better.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 09:32 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle View Post
**I would search for this, as I'm sure it's posted, but I'm getting a weird WARNING when I click search**

Just curious:
What is your average turn around time? What is your target turn around time? What is the fastest you've completed something, and the longest it's taken you?
I just did my fastest edit (not total job turn around). Took me about 12 days start to finish for a 50minute long form artistic wedding edit. Still was about 90 hours of editing, just packed down into 12 days (most of it in the last 5-7 days).
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:45 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Probably says NO SPAM or something like that? Seems like the drop down Search on the top of the page needs you to be signed in for it to work. The Google search on the bottom of the page works without being signed in.

Last edited by Edward Phillips; December 16th, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
Edward Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #8
Major Player

My contract says 10-16 weeks. Usually 2 months is my average, but I've had a wedding back to a couple within a week! It just depends on what they ordered.

I'll finish up my latest one within the next two weeks, so that puts me at around 5-6 weeks for this one.

But it always feels like it's taking longer! Much longer!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Phillips View Post
Probably says NO SPAM or something like that? Seems like the drop down Search on the top of the page needs you to be signed in for it to work. The Google search on the bottom of the page works without being signed in.
No, here's what it says:

"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /export/sites/dvinfo.net/docs/gallery/gallery_global.php on line 352

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1067

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/includes/functions_gallery.php on line 1067"

Over and over.

Wow, I don't feel so bad about my turn around time, now. I took way to long on a friends wedding back in the day and since I've tried to punch them out in a week, two tops.
Old December 17th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #10
Major Player

Hi Jason,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I just did my fastest edit (not total job turn around). Took me about 12 days start to finish for a 50minute long form artistic wedding edit. Still was about 90 hours of editing, just packed down into 12 days (most of it in the last 5-7 days).
90 hours. Seriously - that's too much. Think about your hourly rate, your sanity and your life. You'll never keep that up. Just a thought from someone who's been there, done that...
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:59 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Peregrine View Post
Hi Jason,
90 hours. Seriously - that's too much. Think about your hourly rate, your sanity and your life. You'll never keep that up. Just a thought from someone who's been there, done that...
Yes I'm working to eliminate the perfectionist time wasting tendencies. The scenes where I constantly mess with the audio to try and get rid of the wind rumble, etc. Part of the struggle will be realizing which scenes have problems I can fix in post, and which scenes simple have too much of the real world (aka not a movie set) in them.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques