24p and FCE4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old December 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM   #1
New Boot

24p and FCE4

I have seen a lot of threads complaining about 24p and skips. I have not had any issues like this when using FCE4 and exporting to DVD. I can slow it down to 50% and still no problems. Can anyone else confirm that 24p is working for them without problems? Especially those using FCE4.
I have never shot a wedding using 24p but think I am going to tomorrow. That is my concern, the last I want is to come home and not be able to edit it correctly. If there are major issues than I will just stick with 60i
Brett Weathersby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I'm shooting 24P and haven't had any issues with FCP. I don't use FCE, though. I do notice that the footage from the A1 and the HV30 don't quite match up in terms of the look of the framerate. I'm assuming this is because the HV30 is CMOS and the A1's are not.
Old December 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #3
Major Player

I could be wrong... But when I got my DVX100 I thought that FCE(any version) wouldn't support 24P. So I upgraded to pro.
However, I then found out that on the DVX100B if you record in 24P in lays it down in 29.97 on the tape. Meaning that I would just edit normally as I would with 60I.
I will say that I think 24P looks much nicer then 60I, and if you have the opportunity to shoot in 24P then do so.
The slow motion does look a little weird though. My idea (never tried it) was to switch from 24p back to 60I on the parts that I knew that I would like to slow down. Since everything on my tape will be laid on in 29.97 I wouldn't have to change any settings during import.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 09:30 AM   #4
New Boot

Yeah, I did a test run last night in the church and the lighting is REALLY low. I think I'm think I'm going to stick with 60i for the wedding. I'm taking some footage today of the bride, I might do that in 24p. I should have good light. I think 60i is probably the safest bet. Your thoughts?
Brett Weathersby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Brett...
If it was me I would probably shoot in 24P. I always shoot in 24P since it delivers a format that most people aren't used to seeing from a video camera. I haven't noticed much light loss from 60i to 24P... Are your sure there is any?
24p gives you that cinematic look in my opinion... which is something that I strive for on every shot.
What kind of camera are you using?
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Wrangler

Unlike FCP, FCE 4's timeline is 60i/50i only. So if your camcorder creates a true 24p file, like the XH A1 you'll have to transcode the footage first. It's not a problem with the HV30 or Sony cams because they put the 24p video into a 60i wrapper.

60i is always a safe bet. 24p is nice, but it's important to be very aware of the camera movement. What seems like normal camera movement in 60i can seem jerky/skippy in 24p. But it does look wonderful when done right.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques