Anything new Lighting Wise? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 5th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #16
Major Player

Lightpanel V Bike Light By Alastair Brown On ExposureRoom

I got a loan of a Lightpanel to try and although I was REALLY impressed by it's performance, light weight and the ability to dim.

What I just couldn't get my head around was how the cost of constructing it added up.

You can get a supposed led video light on ebay which turns out to be no more than a bike lamp that costs $10.

Watch the video and you will see that the lightpanel far outperforms the bike light.

All that said....I will probably end up getting a Litepanel, but it is going to break my heart paying the price they are charging.

Apologies for the shaky footage, it was late, and I had to return the Litepanel so it was done in a serious hurry.
Alastair Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I know I mentioned it early in the thread, but a pair of Sima LX20's mounted outboard on the included brackets would cost a fraction, and are not bad for the low price - there's a thread on them in the lighting section, unfortunately mistitled "sigma" instead of SIMA...

The eBay "bike lights" and "Camping lights" and their ilk are worthless for the blue frosty glow they emit, and it has VERY short throw, maybe effective to 5 feet or so, and then drops off too much to be of use.

The Simas apparently are using a better grade of LED, and at around $40 each, you can buy a few. They seem to match my diffused Sony HVL-20 type lights albeit a bit cooler color temp.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #18
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...deo-light.html

This is the thread I think Dave is referring to.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Yep, that's the one - probably help if I got the model # right, too! I picked up a few of these, and for far less than one of the "pro" LED lights, for the size and weight, I'm impressed, and put two on outboard bracket mounts, and they give fairly decent coverage with minimal hotspot, unlike about any other light I've tried.
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #20
Major Player

I see videoguys are doing a deal for a three pack at $99. Just about to phone and see how much that equates to once shipping is added for the uk. And then Her Majesty gets her cut with import tax/duty/customs fees etc etc etc. Gawd Bless er!
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #21
Anton/Bauer

Guys, He is doing a shoot in a candle lit castle... color temp is going to be 2800 degrees K. And oyu are suggesting LED that put out 5600 degree K.

Think about what the background of each shot will look like...

My suggestion is get a light that outputs 3200 degree k and a dimmer...
Scott Keyworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:00 PM   #22
Major Player

I use a Vidled on my EX3. Built in battery that last way long enough and throws out more than enough light.
VIDLED On Camera LED Video Lights
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Keyworth View Post
Guys, He is doing a shoot in a candle lit castle... color temp is going to be 2800 degrees K. And oyu are suggesting LED that put out 5600 degree K.

Think about what the background of each shot will look like...

My suggestion is get a light that outputs 3200 degree k and a dimmer...
Scott many people in the wedding industry don't have a slightest idea of what you are talking about, and if you are trying to explain to them, they will look at you like you are from another planet or something, this is why others always look down at wedding videographer.
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:31 AM   #24
Inner Circle

I'm quite aware of the differences in light temperature, thank you.

This is going to be a tough shoot any way you slice it. Unless you want a giant bar of candles mounted across the top of the camera, you're not going to be matching the "ambience". Although MAYBE my diffused Sony Halogens might have been closer...

Mixed light temperatures are pretty much par for wedding videos, mixes of daylight and who knows what "indoor" lighting that may be flourescent, incandecent, tungsten, or candles... maybe all of the above.

If you can get a decently powerful light without killing the "ambience", you can establish at least a reasonably consistent area of light in which to work your close ups, and adjust in post. I had good luck using the Sima light as a fill in just such a mixed light environment - and it made getting a good natural color in post a LOT easier as faces were something close to a healthy tone to start with. Sure it's not perfect, but FACES looked good and with some CC the rest of the frame looked pretty decent too.

Oh, and you can always gel the LEDs to adjust the color a bit... if you actually read the thread referenced, you'd see that's been discussed...
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:26 AM   #25
Major Player

check this out...

EventDV.net: In the Field: Switronix TorchLED TL-50
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
a giant bar of candles mounted across the top of the camera
Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that!!!!!! ;-) You conjured up an image that has me chuckling.

The Switronix seems to perform well.
Old March 6th, 2009, 06:58 AM   #27
Major Player

Suddenly reminded me of this one from years ago. Perhaps i should dust it down!
Attached Thumbnails
Anything new Lighting Wise?-mk2large.jpg  
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #28
Slash Rules!

Hello, special friends.

I could use an on camera light of some sort, and decided around $300 is my limit, based on how often I'll use it, etc.

The TorchLED and the VidLED look like viable options. Does anyone know which is brighter at a given distance? (I saw that specs that on the CoolLED (brightest) of the VidLEDs is 124 lux at 6ft, but I never learned lux/footcandles/etc. so I'm a little lost as to how that translates).

I will absolutely be putting a sliver of CTO over whichever I get (if I go LED), because I did a wedding reception with a super craptacular LED bought last minute, and the mixed temps looked terrible. . .I balance for the light, backgrounds look awful, I balance for backgrounds, looks like I'm shooting a party with the undead. So, yes, color correction on the light for me!

By the way, I will be using possibly the most low-light-unfriendly camera ever, the Canon XL2. With the 16x manual lens, if that makes any difference in the light loss. I will probably go up to 6 or 12 db of gain as needed or (God forbid) 18 in emergencies.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 08:47 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
I'm quite aware of the differences in light temperature, thank you.

This is going to be a tough shoot any way you slice it. Unless you want a giant bar of candles mounted across the top of the camera, you're not going to be matching the "ambience". Although MAYBE my diffused Sony Halogens might have been closer...

Mixed light temperatures are pretty much par for wedding videos, mixes of daylight and who knows what "indoor" lighting that may be flourescent, incandecent, tungsten, or candles... maybe all of the above.

If you can get a decently powerful light without killing the "ambience", you can establish at least a reasonably consistent area of light in which to work your close ups, and adjust in post. I had good luck using the Sima light as a fill in just such a mixed light environment - and it made getting a good natural color in post a LOT easier as faces were something close to a healthy tone to start with. Sure it's not perfect, but FACES looked good and with some CC the rest of the frame looked pretty decent too.

Oh, and you can always gel the LEDs to adjust the color a bit... if you actually read the thread referenced, you'd see that's been discussed...
Ok so I went back and read every reply to the original post, I did not see you said anything about a gel, if you are going to suggest a 5600k light for indoor with candle light, you should have said to put a gel on it, but if you do there will be no output left on those Sima light, if using a 5600k for indoor, you need something much more powerfull to compensate for loss light output due to the gel or an LED that can switch temp like the Zylight, then you wouldn't have to do any CC at all.
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:35 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Ok so I went back and read every reply to the original post, I did not see you said anything about a gel, if you are going to suggest a 5600k light for indoor with candle light, you should have said to put a gel on it, but if you do there will be no output left on those Sima light, if using a 5600k for indoor, you need something much more powerfull to compensate for loss light output due to the gel or an LED that can switch temp like the Zylight, then you wouldn't have to do any CC at all.
Gels are mentioned on THE OTHER THREAD I referenced, I presumed the OP would be experienced enough to know to put a proper lampshade on the bare bulb <wink>, I had forgotten that pic, gave me a good healthy chuckle!

I'd still recommend the Sony 10/20W halogens with diffusion (will be significantly warmer), and they work pretty well though they can get heavy with batteries and used in pairs... but you're back in the $300+ range for a kit, and there's the heat/weight factor.

The Simas are light, cheap, and put out a surprising amount of light when used in pairs. You probably should WB to adjust or plan on some post CC, but for the $, they are a steal in the "on camera" light department. FAR superior to the "blue freeze" consumer LED's in color, and I've found them to keep a workable skin tone when used as a fill (consumer LEDs are great for Smurf weddings though! Really bring out that healthy blue skin color!).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques