Has anyone shot for Rachel Ray? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 12th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Has anyone shot for Rachel Ray?

I'm shooting b-roll and other such stuff for the Rachel Ray show tomorrow in a local home.

Has anyone else 'round here shot for her show?
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I'm shooting b-roll and other such stuff for the Rachel Ray show tomorrow in a local home.

Has anyone else 'round here shot for her show?
...why or what do you want to know???
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm sorry, I thought it would be obvious, I was mistaken.

How was your experience when shooting for them? Any tips? I am fishing for feeback to avoid unnecessary problems. As of this writing the assistant didn't know if they needed 16:9 or 4:3, but I can't imagine they won't tell me by tomorrow morning. I'm taking two cams to have it covered either way. It also occured to me that I can look for her show on the web to learn more. I'll do that this evening. I'm on the way out now.
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #4
Major Player

jeff, is this your first experience shooting for a tv show?
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Yes it is. This is a one minute piece and some b-roll. I'll be back to respond to any helpful tips soon, am leaving for hour or two.
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:35 PM   #6
Major Player

hey jeff, i am sure there will be a field producer/director to give you a heads up on what they want as far as b-roll footage. be mindful of where the A-cam person is at all times.
i would ask what settings for time code you need to use such as free-run which is common.

since this is your first tv gig....not saying you would do this but, don't act star stuck. i know that sounds stupid but...

*don't talk a lot!!! just do your job....do what's asked of you and do it well. be friendly and professional but DO NOT step on the A-Camera ops feet, or the producer/directors feet. i would say NOT to talk about your wedding stuff....at all. shooting weddings is not respected in Hollywood by most.

i'm sure you'll do great! enjoy.
Old January 12th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Thanks Joe. I don't even know if there is another cam. I'm getting a copy of the script in the next hour or two so I'll know more.

All your advice is sound I will be mindful of everything you mentioned!
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Major Player

tell us how you go Jeff and good luck
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks, Robert. I just learned they want 4:3 (darn, I wanted to shoot with my FX1000).

I guess I'll go with my PD150, lights, tripod, monopod, and spider brace, as I know nothing about the shoot except the address and time.
Old January 12th, 2009, 07:04 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Got script, it is really not a huge deal. Very short shoot, in and out.
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:25 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Allen Rosenberger View Post
hey jeff, i am sure there will be a field producer/director to give you a heads up on what they want as far as b-roll footage. be mindful of where the A-cam person is at all times.
i would ask what settings for time code you need to use such as free-run which is common.

since this is your first tv gig....not saying you would do this but, don't act star stuck. i know that sounds stupid but...

*don't talk a lot!!! just do your job....do what's asked of you and do it well. be friendly and professional but DO NOT step on the A-Camera ops feet, or the producer/directors feet. i would say NOT to talk about your wedding stuff....at all. shooting weddings is not respected in Hollywood by most.

i'm sure you'll do great! enjoy.

This made me chuckle a little bit, trust me, Rachel ray aint hollywood ;)

Funny thing is, I went the other direction, from directing/producing national tv shows to shooting Wedding/corporate videos. I wouldn't go back for all the tea in China.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Hey Chad- that is a really interesting comment. Can you share any more thoughts on why you enjoy event work so much more?
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:25 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Well, my view goes like this... I worked for several large networks (both news and a cooking channel ;) as both a director and later as a producer. This work is very exciting for awhile and the money is ok but after some time you realize that you have ZERO creative control, even as a producer.

Often times I would find myself stuck in the control room watching a package or story and wishing that I was actually the one in the field shooting it. After awhile the glamor factor wears off and you are just going through the motions.

One day, my favorite camera operator quit to open a production company full time. I saved my pennies and 6 months later I quit my job and went into business with him. I have never looked back.

Now I am the executive producer and get to make all the creative decisions, and the only person I have to answer to is my wife.

This would be different if you were creating dramatic tv or film, but even in that situation you really don't have any creative outlet unless you are in charge.

I just love waking up every day knowing that I am in charge of my work instead of some network executive.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Nickle View Post
This made me chuckle a little bit, trust me, Rachel ray aint hollywood ;)

Funny thing is, I went the other direction, from directing/producing national tv shows to shooting Wedding/corporate videos. I wouldn't go back for all the tea in China.
...really? What national TV shows did you direct/produce?
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:10 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Well lets see, Fox Sports net, CNN, HSN and the Food network (Before Rachel Ray) Certainly nothing as big as your imdb career page but I do have some experience.

I am sure you know hollywood much better than I seeing as I only go there for vacation.

Just so you know I meant no offense in my first post.
Chad Nickle is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques