does anyone else have their eye's on the scarlet? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 28th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #1
Major Player

does anyone else have their eye's on the scarlet?

Like many others, owning a Red would be a dream come true for me. Just curious if anyone else out there has been looking into the "consumer" model (the 3K scarlet). I hate going to reds site since it's like digging for "top secret" technology.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Like many others, owning a Red would be a dream come true for me. Just curious if anyone else out there has been looking into the "consumer" model (the 3K scarlet). I hate going to reds site since it's like digging for "top secret" technology.
You're not likely to find any better info here. There should be a moratorium on any discussions regarding this camera till it actually ships. I'm sure it'll be fine and dandy, but who really knows what the drawbacks for using a Scarlet for weddings will be till it hits the streets and you get to use one. Like any other camera (conceptual or shipping) it's just a tool and may or may not be right for your style of shooting, your workflow, or your budget.

Am I the only one who has grown weary of Scarlet speculation and discussion?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
Am I the only one who has grown weary of Scarlet speculation and discussion?

Wow Ethan, I didn't mean to hit a sore subject with you.... I check this forum board at least 4 or 5 times a day since I joined a year ago. I haven't seen much talk on this subject in a while. especially the uses at would pertain the wedding video industry.

I agree that looking at a camera as tool for the job is a good outlook, and I haven't put that much thought into it before. That being said, some tools make a job a hell of a lot easier.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Wow Ethan, I didn't mean to hit a sore subject with you.... I check this forum board at least 4 or 5 times a day since I joined a year ago. I haven't seen much talk on this subject in a while. especially the uses at would pertain the wedding video industry.

I agree that looking at a camera as tool for the job is a good outlook, and I haven't put that much thought into it before. That being said, some tools make a job a hell of a lot easier.

Steve
I guess it is a bit of a sore topic with me, and my post came off a little... angry? Anyway, nothing was directed at you per-se, just at the rampant hype and speculation of the camera.

Some tools do make the job easier, but I'm not sure Scarlet will make anything easier as it pertains to weddings and I'd argue that it would actually complicate your shooting and workflow, but that being said it should pay off with stunning images, but again who knows till it's a shipping product.

To me it seems like the cam will be more suited to other types of production work, but you can bet I'll be among those who give it a long hard look to see if it could possibly fit into my work and budget.

We'll know in 6 months or so. (my guess)

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper View Post
I'll be among those who give it a long hard look to see if it could possibly fit into my work and budget.
Amen to that. I figure I've got one last season in me with my Z1, then I'll upgrade. Scarlet looks very interesting, but as Ethan says, not much use making any decisions until we can see one.
Old January 29th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Major Player

Personally, I know I can't wait for this camera. But, that's mostly due to the fact that I shoot full 35mm adapter rigs... and it's a total pain in the ass. They are heavy, they are bulky, they need a TON of light, they require a lot of extra steps and tweaking to get the image you want, and when it all comes down to it you are still only getting a "nicer looking" highly compressed hdv video at 1440x1080 pixels.

So, for ME (someone who jumps through all these hoops trying to get a nicer picture) it makes a lot of since to pick up a couple Scarlets. smaller, lighter, easier to manage, WAY WAY WAY better image, low light is not a problem, and SOLID STATE!!! Not to mention, a lot easier to fly on my Steadicam. I don't just shoot weddings, I shoot commercials, and independent films... so for me this camera makes a lot of sense. Plus, RED is a company that does not blow smoke up ones ass.

my two cents.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques