All that beautiful slo-mo.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

All that beautiful slo-mo....

Hi all

Learning here. Looking at some of the really nice wedding highlights you guys produce and I see a LOT of slow mo material therein.

Can I ask, do people overcrank on the day or slow footage down in post?

I have an EX1 which has an overcrank facility but it's buired in the menus and I don't fancy switching it on and off all the time.

If shooting normal fps, what settings work best for slowing down in post. I'm thinking 720p/50 with shutter of 100. Will that do the trick? (using FCP for editing).

I'll be doing some tests on this in the next couple of days but would appreciate any pointers so I don't waste too much time on dead ends.

Peter
Peter Mee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I shoot in 24F on the Canon XH-A1 and usually use a shutter of 24 or 48. I slow footage down to 50% and I think it looks fine. I would use overcranking if it was a feature on the Canon, but it's not. You can also look into using Twixtor software, which apparently gives great results .. but it's not cheap either.
Old January 29th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Major Player

There's also another method for getting a smoother slow-mo out of your editing program...
do you guys want butter? super smooth slow motion - DVXuser.com -- The online community for filmmaking
the guy gives the instructions if you were working with 24p... but i'm pretty sure it works the same for interlaced.

if use this method it seems to work bette with frame blending deselected and crop the top and bottom of the image to reduce flicker.

steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Generally, using your editor to do your slo-mo will result in better quality. Here's a link to a VASST training video excerpt that explains why: YouTube - Sony HVR-Z7U Camcorder Training (Excerpt). While the video is about the Z7, I've done some testing with the EX1 with the same results. Hope this helps.
Randy

Edit: Here's another example from the HVR-270 training DVD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVSkZrbSItQ. Some pretty cool footage showing slo-mo.
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Trustee

I would guess that for weddings, most do not overcrank. You would have to know beforehand which shots you want in slomo, which could be problematic. And slowmo 33-50% is no big deal to get a good result from non-overcranked footage.

Choice of NLE makes a big difference. I remember being amazed at how much better the slomo was in AVID than it was in Premiere when I switched. Perhaps it's better in Premiere now, but I haven't used it for a couple of versions. I don't know about Vegas or others, as I don't have much experience in them.
Old January 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Vegas does very well with slo-mo. The footage in my previous post was edited in Vegas.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Maybe I'm missing something here but in FCP I just right click on the clip, change the 'speed' to 50% and I'm happy.

There's more to making something slo-mo than that?!
Blake Cavett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Major Player

re

ive just been playing with twixtor shotting 25p and the results are amazing compared to just right clicking adn changing speed to 50

still havnt figured out how to remmap time on it though, and there are no tuturiols on the net

luke
Luke Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #9
Major Player

The results ive seen with twixtor are truely amazing. Its almost like a high speed camera.

As has been said, weddings are often fast moving and you wont get time to overcrank so do it in post.

Vegas is poo for slow mo, even with supersampling its often a bit jumpy.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #10
Major Player

Slo-mo is relaly overrated for wedding videos IMO..

But if to do a slow-mo, the less smooth slow-mo from normal 24p footage looks much better and more visceral for wedding videos than super smooth overcranked stuff that looks like a car crash test video..
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm a bit of a slo-mo lover. I love the different reality it presents.
Due to only owning an XHA1, I do not have the facility to overcrank (which guts me).
After extensive experimentation, the simplest and most effective way I've found for the smoothest slow-mo is to shoot in 50i (I'm in PAL land) and import that into a 25p timeline (I use Vegas) with the field blending set to 'interpolate'. I don't reduce the speed beyond 50%.

Latest example of this technique that I've shot: Lyall Bay Surfing January 2009 Wellington, New Zealand. on Vimeo
Old January 31st, 2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Nice footage Dennis.

Hey Peter, Welcome to the forum. In Galway here.

I find if your shooting 25f then 50% is the only speed to slow it down to.
The results are acceptable for a wedding as long as theres not too much movent.

If you want super smooth i think 50i at shutter speed of 1/50 and slowed to 50% is about as good as you'll get.

If you must shoot 25f but still arent happy with what your nle can do with it then look at twixtor.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2009, 11:42 AM   #13
Major Player

I've found 65% is the slowest I feel compfortable with. It seems to be a little choppy at 50%.

What is the ideal HD/Blu-Ray output setup for good slo-mo, as I've heard different things? 1080i50? 60? 1080p24? 25? 30? 720p24? 25? 30? 50? 60?

I feel slo-mo is essential to bring out the elegance of bridal prep, but I just bought two Panny HMC150s that don't offer overcrank.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques