On-Camera Wireless Mic Suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 5th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #1
Regular Crew

On-Camera Wireless Mic Suggestions

Has anyone used the AZDEN 325ULT Dual-Channel UHF twin Body-Pack Combo System before?

Or can you recommend a good dual transmitter, signal receiver for on camera use?

I am shooting with a Z1U and need a good wireless system to be able to mic the officiant and the groom.

Last edited by Phillip Barnett; February 5th, 2009 at 06:40 AM. Reason: I cant seem to get my fingers to hit the right letters!!
Phillip Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #2
Inner Circle

the only other dual channel is the Audio Technica 1800 series which I do own and love. I previously owned Azden systems (the 500U/51BT combination) and they worked fine but the AT blows the Azdens away. A friend of mine uses an Azden 200 (I think that's it might be a 300) dual channel and frankly while it does the job, it's not as sweet as the AT. The way he has to set it up just seems awkward. Anyway the Audio Technica is a very nice unit, been using it dor about a year and a half now and I endorse it.
HOWEVER, I do not use the stock mics, I think AT could do better with that. I use Countryman EMW shelved response mics. Hugh difference in sound quality.
Anyway there you go.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for your responce. I posted this same question in another forum and they suggested the same equipment you did. Might be worth looking into. the $1300 is a little pricey for the present budget I have, but it is an investment in my business so I might consider changing my budget.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anyone else knof of or use a system?
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

there are only the 2 that I know of. AT and Azden but I thought I read somewhere that Sony had or has 1. You might check that out.
Other than that, just the 2.

Don
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

WOW! Did not know my list of choices was going to be so short!! Thanks!
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #7
Regular Crew

i use the sennheiser g2 systems with tram tr-50 lavs.
Michael McQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

good systems but the OP was/is looking for a dual channel system which comes back to Azden or Audio Technica 1800 series.

BTW Philip, the 1800 series comes in both single and dual channel setups.

Don
Old February 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
BTW Philip, the 1800 series comes in both single and dual channel setups.

Don
I guess it is the 1821 that i am considering.
Old February 6th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Barnett View Post
Has anyone used the AZDEN 325ULT Dual-Channel UHF twin Body-Pack Combo System before?

Or can you recommend a good dual transmitter, signal receiver for on camera use?

I am shooting with a Z1U and need a good wireless system to be able to mic the officiant and the groom.
I have used both an Azden (though it was VHF and not a good indicator of their UHF products) and now I have an AudioTechnica 1800 series dual channel on cam receiver with two lav & bodypacks. I absolutely love this system. For the ceremony I do exactly as you mentioned. I put both channels of XLR out from the AT1800 into my beachtek then into the GL2. For the reception I draped one lav over the DJ speakers (and turned its sensitivity almost completely off) and I got great audio for the reception. I use a Beachteck to pipe the output from the AT1800 into one channel and my AT897 on cam shotgun to the other channel (for reception).

The kit was very spendy (even at the great deal I got from a member hear on DVInfo) at over $1K, but the quality is superb.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 11:31 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Another endorsement for the AT1800 system here. I love mine too. The ability to mix right in the receiver is great.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #12
Inner Circle

If you want to go first-class, the Lectro SR is aother dual-channel receiver. While the basic unit is designed for slot mounting on pro ENG cameras, they have an SREXT adapter kit that allows for external mounting and an SRBATTSELD that also provides battery power when used externally. It's true you'll be looking at a huge price jump when you move to Lectros.
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #13
Major Player

You could also consider a PAIR of Sennheiser transmitters/receivers!

That's what I do when I need dual channel, and that way I've also got the flexibility when I need single channels on two separate cameras. I quite often use this Senny gear in either mode.

Not as extravagant as it sounds: for example: I sometimes want to record from a widely separated pair of mics (in a disco) into two channels into a single camera to make a synced stereo pair. Alternatively, I might want to record from a single mic into two different cameras for security and continuity across tape changes. You can't do all that with integrated dual-channel kit.

Last edited by Martin Mayer; February 8th, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Martin Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Steve, I'm looking hard at the SR series. Have you used them? Is there any tradeoff in ease of use compared to two separate Lectro units? One of things that I like about the AT dual receiver is how easy it is to switch and mix between tracks. Everything is controlled by a series of external knobs and switches. Would it take longer to switch back and forth between the channels with the Lectro? All I can see in the pictures is a menu on the front panel.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2009, 09:44 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt View Post
Steve, I'm looking hard at the SR series. Have you used them? Is there any tradeoff in ease of use compared to two separate Lectro units? One of things that I like about the AT dual receiver is how easy it is to switch and mix between tracks. Everything is controlled by a series of external knobs and switches. Would it take longer to switch back and forth between the channels with the Lectro? All I can see in the pictures is a menu on the front panel.
No, I haven't used them either. Was in Trew's shop here Friday and looking at one - it's a real gem. The only tradeoff I see with the SR versus two separate units is that when you're using dual-channel mode to hear two transmitters you're using antenna-switching diversity - to get true ratio diversity reception you have to drop back to single channel mode. But there's a huge price difference for the SR versus, say, 2 UCR411s -Trew's price is $1920 for the SR versus $3410 for a pair of the UCRs.

That's going to be down the road a bit for me - looking at some hardwired lavs as the next addition to my kit. Considering the COS11x and the new Sennheiser MKE1 - fondled the MKE at the same time I was looking at the SR and I can't believe how tiny the thing is! - any thoughts?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques