iRiver out of sync in PPRO-CS3, but OK in Vegas at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

iRiver out of sync in PPRO-CS3, but OK in Vegas

I have a 35 min. video from an FX7 and audio from an iRiver 890. I captured using Premiere Pro CS3. In Premiere, it starts fine but at the end its about 5 seconds behind. I read some threads here, and I tried changing the sample rate from 44 to 48. No difference.
I tried Vegas Pro 8, and had no sync issues at all (with the 44.1 audio, and same video captured from Premiere).

I would like to continue using Premiere over Vegas. Is there a workaround?
Gerald Labrador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Labrador View Post
I have a 35 min. video from an FX7 and audio from an iRiver 890. I captured using Premiere Pro CS3. In Premiere, it starts fine but at the end its about 5 seconds behind. I read some threads here, and I tried changing the sample rate from 44 to 48. No difference.
I tried Vegas Pro 8, and had no sync issues at all (with the 44.1 audio, and same video captured from Premiere).

I would like to continue using Premiere over Vegas. Is there a workaround?
Its probably a consistent difference. Shoot a 30 min clip with the FX7 and the iRiver, clapping at the beginning and the end to give you sync points. Import them into Premiere and time stretch the iRiver clip so that the spikes at the clap points match. Take note of how much you time stretched the iRiver clip and just time stretch the iRiver clips by that much each time you use those together.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2009, 05:52 AM   #3
Inner Circle

possibly one project is 29.94 f/s and the other 30.
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #4
Major Player

drop / non-drop issue?

Project frame rate is 30, 29.97, 24 for each?
Old February 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Mayberry View Post
drop / non-drop issue?

Project frame rate is 30, 29.97, 24 for each?
Drop frame or not won't effect it. No video frames are dropped with drop frame time code, only the frame numbers jump peridoically so some numbers are skipped. The code doesn't control anything during recording or playback, it's just a string of labels alongside the video. But even so, unless TC is recorded with both the audio and the video, TC settings are irrelevent, and an iRiver isn't even aware TC exists.
Old February 16th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip Tom...everyone, I will have to try that.
I'm still curious to know why it was fine in Vegas and off sync in Premiere though. But at least there are ways around the issue.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Gerald - can you give us the details on the iRiver 890 - what mic and settings? did you hook it up the dj's board?
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Sorry - Gerald, I thought that the 890 was the new iRiver. I just looked up on the B&H site and was thinking of the E100
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 04:46 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Labrador View Post
Thanks for the tip Tom...everyone, I will have to try that.
I'm still curious to know why it was fine in Vegas and off sync in Premiere though. But at least there are ways around the issue.
The iRiver is recording at 44.1kHz. Audio for video is at 48kHz and the project sample rate in both NLEs will be 48kHz. While I haven't been able to find documentation to say one way or the other, I'm going to hazard a guess that Vegas is automatically converting the sample rate to 48kHz when adding the audio file to the project but Premiere is leaving it at 44.1. If you playback a 44.1 file at 48, it will play too fast, shortened by about 10%. The fix is to first take the file into an audio program such as Audition or Audacity (freeware) and convert the sample rate before taking it into Premiere
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #10
Regular Crew

I routinely use an iRiver H120 and/or H320 to record external audio and 5 seconds for a 30 minute project is WAY off. For a 1 hour plus video I'm usually off by maybe a second at the most and since both sources are digital I can easily correct the difference in Vegas.

I don't know if Vegas resamples to 48KHz on the timeline or not but on export I've never had any issues.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Problem solved. But just in case anyone still cares to hear...

I looked at Vegas, and the project properties stated audio setting was 44.1.
I looked at Premiere and the project properties were 48.
Also, I decided to hear the audio of the video (muted the iRiver recording), and that too was out of sync. What the...
The original mpeg played fine using medial players, but only in Premiere is where the sync issue was. After googling, reading several forums, updating Premiere. I re-did the same project from scratch and the sync was almost a non-issue. A couple of dropped frames would offset the sync but was fixable with a few adjustments.

Anyways, I'll look at other options to capture instead of Premiere to avoid dropped frames (what others have suggested also).

Thank you to all that listened or participated.
Old February 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Does Premiere not show you if you drop frames while capturing? I use WinDV for capture. It's small and free, Just make sure to configure it for a max frame size longer than what a DV tape is. Otherwise it will make splits when it reaches whatever size it's set to. I use Discontinuity threshold of 1 so it will stop capturing after it sees 1 second of no timecode, Max frames 1,000,000 and every n-th frame 1.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Inner Circle

If you still need to sync up the iriver with your camera's audio, try this procedure:
My Video Problems :: View topic - Synchronise external and camera audio tracks.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques