Marketing Advise. Thoughts Please at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Marketing Advise. Thoughts Please

Im an up and coming wedding videographer, working on building my cliental so my prices are very low for the work I do. I plan on upping the price after I finish my highlight reel and update the site. I would like to know what are some good site where can advertise and help get leads. I got a quote for $900 for a year on mywedding.com, Please give me thoughts. Thank you.

www.imperial-video.com
www.imperial-wedding.com
Imperial Video Production and Motion Graphics
Vinny Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

To be perfectly honest, I have tried a bunch of web ads over the past few years, and the only one that really worked for me is TheKnot.com

The Knot is very expensive (I was paying $3600 a year, although that included a 1/3 page ad in their magazine as well, but the magazine did nothing for me). They went Up in their prices to over $4,000 and I dumped them, but after trying other "cheaper" sites with no avail, I might go back to them next year.

I'm a part time videographer right now, and I was actually getting more leads than I could possibly work through the Knot, so while the ad was doing it's job well - I simply wasn't in a position where I could take full advantage of it at the time.

As far as your strategy to start your prices low and work your way up - be aware that once your labeled as the "cheap videographer" it is very hard to shed that label and increase prices without getting the "well you shot my friends wedding for $900 last year, why is it $1500 this year for mine? Can you give me that cheaper price?"
Old February 24th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan DesRoches View Post
As far as your strategy to start your prices low and work your way up - be aware that once your labeled as the "cheap videographer" it is very hard to shed that label and increase prices without getting the "well you shot my friends wedding for $900 last year, why is it $1500 this year for mine? Can you give me that cheaper price?"
Ain't that the freakin' truth. If I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I'd never have to work again.
Old February 24th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #4
Major Player

Vinny - what I do in lieu of paid advertising is sign up for a free listing on as many wedding portal sites as I can. The Knot doesn't offer free listings but many do. Some require you to insert a return link back to their site from your website. I still don't understand how this search engine stuff works ( who does) but one factor seems to be how well "linked" you are. I get a fair amount of leads from people who somehow find me on the web but I haven't yet done any serious analysis on where or how this is happening. Good luck!

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #5
Major Player

F A C E B O O K !!!

For anyone not using this as a marketing tool, you need to! It's been amazing for me and for driving people to my site. 95% of the couples I'm booking for weddings are on facebook now and 95% of their friends aren't married yet! ;-)

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bishop View Post
F A C E B O O K !!!
Matt
Matt - I've been researching this - can you share more details on how you are using? Are you maintaining a page on FB or are you just adding links from your site or blog?

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Major Player

Art,

We have discussed Facebook advertising in the past. I have provided the link for you.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...dvertsing.html
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
Matt - I've been researching this - can you share more details on how you are using? Are you maintaining a page on FB or are you just adding links from your site or blog?

Art
I just posted a new thread with all of things I do on facebook. Noel was right that it had been discussed, but a lot of the prior discussion is regarding the paid advertising that you can do. I don't do any of that, so here is my process.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...marketing.html

Matt
Matt Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Minton View Post
Im an up and coming wedding videographer, working on building my cliental so my prices are very low for the work I do. I plan on upping the price after I finish my highlight reel and update the site. I would like to know what are some good site where can advertise and help get leads. I got a quote for $900 for a year on mywedding.com, Please give me thoughts. Thank you.

www.imperial-video.com
www.imperial-wedding.com
Imperial Video Production and Motion Graphics
Vinny:

It's very true that you will need a solid web presence but keep in mind that you need to network quite a bit. Build honest relationships with photographers, wedding planners, venues, etc. Look around and good quality work around you; what are they charging? If you are not doing that level of work yet then obviously you will need to be somewhere below what they are charging. If you are getting more work than you can handle then you need to look at and consider raising your prices.

Find all the free sites you can regardless if they lead directly to a booking. This will help drive traffic to your site, which will contribute to a better organic search result.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques