Which way do I go? I Need camera help. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #1
New Boot

Which way do I go? I Need camera help.

Ok so I have been shooting as a contractor for a company for a while and this year decided to start on my own. I currently have six jobs booked and talking to a few more. I shoot with a PD-170 but need to get more cameras. I can a) buy another pd-170 (used) and a vx2100 to get me going or b) sell my camera and buy 3 HD cameras. I am a big Sony man so I have been kind of looking at staying with Sony. I love the Z5U, but buying three of them plus other equipment is a little steep. I thought about buying one and then buying some lower priced cameras, maybe even used. Here is a list of cameras I could use some input on, also how will any of these cameras pictures match up.

Z5U, FX1000, V1U, FX7, A1U, Z1U, FX1 also how about the HD1000U?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help and opinions.
Adam Palinkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Palinkas View Post
Ok so I have been shooting as a contractor for a company for a while and this year decided to start on my own. I currently have six jobs booked and talking to a few more. I shoot with a PD-170 but need to get more cameras. I can a) buy another pd-170 (used) and a vx2100 to get me going or b) sell my camera and buy 3 HD cameras. I am a big Sony man so I have been kind of looking at staying with Sony. I love the Z5U, but buying three of them plus other equipment is a little steep. I thought about buying one and then buying some lower priced cameras, maybe even used. Here is a list of cameras I could use some input on, also how will any of these cameras pictures match up.

Why buy three lower quality cameras when you only need two? So buy two better quality cameras like the EX1 or perhaps Z7U. Or an EX3 and a cheaper TR12 for pickup shots?

Get well away from PD170's or VX2100's. Old hat for people coming into the business.It would be false economy and you would be forever playing catchup.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Adam,

I'd suggest two FX1000 and a smaller camera as a backup - something like the Canon HV20, 30 or 40. There are so many options right now and none of them is perfect for most people like the VX and PD used to be. So many recording format options, chip types and media choices. Its dizzying. Standardization just doesn't seem to be on the horizon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Palinkas View Post

Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

What about one Z5 + 2 FX1000's - if the budget is there, they are basically the same sensor and optics, just might be confusing with similar feel, but some different features. If the secondary cams are unmanned or by "help", simpler is probably better anyway.

In the Sony nomenclature, Z is the "pro" version of the FX "prosumer" cam, same for the Z1/FX1, not sure why the V1/FX 7 didn't conform to that...

If budget is really tight, might take a look at the new XR500/520 for multi-angle/backups, and one "big" cam.

It'd be worth your time to peruse the dedicated threads/forums on DVi for these cameras to familiarize a bit with what users are reporting - the Z5/FX1000 is getting pretty good reviews, FWIW. It is of course the "newest" offering, with the others you mentioned being several years old now.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have to agree with Dave, Z5 + FX1000.

Or if budget doesnt permit, i would say Z1 + FX1.

Check out the different Sony section on this forum to get a sense of the camera.

DONT waste your money on the HD1000U. An hv30 would be alot better than that, even though the hd1000u is in the shape of a professional shoulder mount.
Jack Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #6
Trustee

If I were you I would get a Z5 plus FX1000 or the FX7 if budget is tight, but definitely the Z5 is a must.

Stelios
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #7
Major Player

I hear all you guys recommending the Z5 for weddings. What about the rolling shutter/during flash issue, or is this really a overstated problem? I too was considering a Z5 but hell everyone has me scared to death about the rolling shutter issue. Im now considering the HMC150. Your knowledge would be helpful.

Thank you
Steve Montoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Montoto View Post
I hear all you guys recommending the Z5 for weddings. What about the rolling shutter/during flash issue, or is this really a overstated problem? I too was considering a Z5 but hell everyone has me scared to death about the rolling shutter issue. Im now considering the HMC150. Your knowledge would be helpful.

Thank you
Rolling shutter is affecting at two situations. Flash are just one of them and are totally manageable since majority of the views don't have a clue what's happening - flash is flash for them.

I thing more important draw back of during fast pans - the frames gets jittered (sp?). You have to pan slowly. With weddings it's not a problem since most of the work is based on smooth movement of the camera. But if you plan to shoot action/horror movies then it might be an issue.

I guess you should test it out first before making final decision.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 10:24 PM   #9
Trustee

Go HD, go with your budget, buy the best you can afford,
good luck.
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:

Thank you
Well, it's that or "CCD smear" <wink>. RS is an issue if your camera technique is bad - but HD is just plain less forgiving of "bad operator" issues... CCD OR CMOS aside you can't whip the camera around or bounce it all over the place... good technique takes care of THAT part of the RS issue. You may have some issues with fast motion or fast moving objects, but that's nothing that most ANY camera won't face in some form.

As far as the "flash" problem, the partial exposures are a shock at first, particularly when you're trying to slo mo the footage. BUT as stated, most viewers won't notice (I'm seeing footage with partial frames all the time on TV in news or other footage), and it's a timing issue that determines whether you get partial or full frames and how much is affected... it can vary greatly.

Then again, I've looked back on SD footage with CCD's, and flash didn't treat THOSE frames any too delicately either... just no "partials", instead the whole frame typically looked like poo, pixelization and scrambling galore...
Old March 7th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
hell everyone has me scared to death about the rolling shutter issue.

Thank you
Everyone that complains about rolling shutter are the guys that don't even own one of these cameras. I have been using a Sony Z7 for a while now and not once has anyone said why is the flash like that, it happens so fast it just looks like a normal flash.

Listen to guys that own these cameras not to guys that don't and i but you would get a positive answer every time. Go the Z5 or Z7 or Ex1 make sure your camera has XLR inputs christal clear audio is vital
Robert Bec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #12
New Boot

"Everyone that complains about rolling shutter are the guys that don't even own one of these cameras."

Not so. I own an FX1000 and I despise the rolling shutter. I also own an HMC150. I'll take the HMC150 any day over the FX1000. I'm trying to sell the FX right now and it appears there's not much demand for it. It's a brand new camera and B&H will only pay $1600 for it. That says a lot about how "not so great" these Sony cameras truly are.
Norman Gaddis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:05 PM   #13
Inner Circle

How much you want for it? I think with the economy things are really tight, so used gear, particularly high end, isn't moving as well as it used to, but $1600 seems awfully low to me, like at least $1k low... that's 1/2 of list price, isn't it?

I'm sure the HMC150 is a nice camera, and may be better than the FX1000 (which IMO should have ditched the tape...), but the FX1000 isn't THAT bad a camera from what I've seen.

FWIW, I've dealt with RS for a while, and while it's not terrific, it's not a deal breaker for most uses. And I've never had any complaints about it from clients/viewers. (and yes, it does bug me a little!)
Old March 7th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Gaddis View Post
"Everyone that complains about rolling shutter are the guys that don't even own one of these cameras."

Not so. I own an FX1000 and I despise the rolling shutter. I also own an HMC150. I'll take the HMC150 any day over the FX1000. I'm trying to sell the FX right now and it appears there's not much demand for it. It's a brand new camera and B&H will only pay $1600 for it. That says a lot about how "not so great" these Sony cameras truly are.
Where were you a week ago when I was buying mine????
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Gaddis View Post

Why are you selling it and what are you using it for?

Last edited by Robert Bec; March 9th, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Robert Bec is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques