How to shoot a wrap-around deck? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 27th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #1
Major Player

How to shoot a wrap-around deck?

I'm shooting a house that has a complete wrap-around deck - from the front, all along the side, and all along the back. So it's three sides of a rectangle. I want to emphasize the view which is spectacular.
I don't have a stabilizer, but even if I did, walking down the deck with the camera seems to give that horror-film effect - the one with the serial killer in the bushes. Great for horror but not if you want people to come stay there!
If I do several pan shots from on the deck, it's choppy because they have to each be from a different position.
The deck is on the second floor, so shooting from downstairs doesn't really show the view.

Also some other issues, - the two bedrooms are very small. I went in with a wide angle but it's still hard to get a good shot. Also, the verticals are distorted which may be unavoidable.

I'm also dealing with the exposure differences between the daylight coming through large beautiful windows. By adjusting the exposure I was able to get a happy medium -slightly overblown but ok - but not really enough to see the view outside. I thought of going out at 'magic hour' but it's in the mountains which would put the outside in shadow at early am or later pm (later pm isn't such a good plan because the west light will be right in those windows). Also I'm not sure if things being in shadow outside would help or hurt.

The deck is definitely a challenge though. Suggestions appreciated - thx in advance.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:27 AM   #2
Trustee

can you rent a jib? Might be cool to boom up from below the deck to level with it.

You might need to shoot each side at a different time of day. in order to get the right look. at noon, you should have the least amount of glare directly into the lense so may be noon would work?
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #3
Major Player

I wish I could but I just can't afford to do anything extra at this time. Too many bills are due.
How would you approach getting a continuous movement or an edit that flows on this?

69 views and one response... I'm guessing a lot of people here then are wondering the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
can you rent a jib? Might be cool to boom up from below the deck to level with it.

You might need to shoot each side at a different time of day. in order to get the right look. at noon, you should have the least amount of glare directly into the lense so may be noon would work?
Kell Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Kell,
I'd place the tripod on the first corner (front right), point the camera straight out from the house, pan to the left toward the back of the house, pause, move the tripod/cam up to the back corner (same side), point the camera to the frount of the house (along that side), then record a pan from that position all the way to the back of the house, pause, move the tripod/cam to the middle of the back of the house, pan the complete back view (corner to corner), move the tripod to the left back corner, repeat as on the right side, and then to the front. In post I would cross-fade the vid into two or three panaramic views cutting out the shadowy or unappealling parts of the house and reducing the pan movements to a minimum using slow-mo to reduce their distraction. At least, you would have lots of footage to work with using this method. Hope that helps.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stewart View Post
Kell,
I'd place the tripod on the first corner (front right), point the camera straight out from the house, pan to the left toward the back of the house, pause, move the tripod/cam up to the back corner (same side), point the camera to the frount of the house (along that side), then record a pan from that position all the way to the back of the house, pause, move the tripod/cam to the middle of the back of the house, pan the complete back view (corner to corner), move the tripod to the left back corner, repeat as on the right side, and then to the front. In post I would cross-fade the vid into two or three panaramic views cutting out the shadowy or unappealling parts of the house and reducing the pan movements to a minimum using slow-mo to reduce their distraction. At least, you would have lots of footage to work with using this method. Hope that helps.
Randy
THat is a good idea. that will give the viewer the appearance of looking out aroudn hte whole house. will need to be very slow in movements.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #6
Major Player

That actually works well, thanks. It gives a nice sense of the view.
Kell Smith is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques