A Videographer's Income - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #16
Major Player

I opened up my own video production last August.
By punching numbers, I have to make about 7-9K per month to keep my business running and feed my wife, 11 year old step daughter and 2.5 year old son. If I hire a part time, 2-2.5K on top of that. Because I am here with my business visa (E-2), I have to make decent amount of money with min. 2 American employees.
I don't live in huge mansion or anything, but our living expense cost quite much.
I have joined a chamber near my town and planning to join a couple shortly.
Wedding is part of my target because I figured if I can't double book the weddings, I won't make enough money to keep up. So I am turning to business and other events as well.
It's not easy to get my name out, but I am trying more and more advertising method by experience.
Because video production does not guarantee a steady income, I find myself being afraid of staying in the business, but I love what I do! Just like Don said, I have to have solid mind to drive my passion and do whatever it takes to be on the top.
Back to original question of this thread: I personally don't want to rely on weddings and events for my incomes. I would definitely extend to other field such corporate videos, non-profit, educational institute, etc. I could charge more for wedding package, but with economy and whatnot, I don't want to scare my bride-to-be away with high price (even though my works worth more than I charge right now)
Just my 2 cents.
Good luck with everything!

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #17
Major Player

Brad, there is no reason to just jump out there. Unless you have to work weekends, keep your job and benefits and build your business. Right now you can have the best of both worlds. It's a lot of work but the rewards will come.
Rob Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 09:59 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Yes you can make it but it COST$$

Hi

Go for it, but it will cost you to start up, so i will make you a Real List:

2 HD Cameras $6000 to Canon xla1 although you can go other ways
4 extra camera batteries $300
1 HD burner & blu-ray player $750
2 Camera real camera bags $500
2 Tripods real tripods $1000 if you buy cheap you will buy them over and over
2 Wireless mics $700
1 HD TV $1000 to show your work at you home if you work out of it.
1 set of on and off camera lighting $1000
1 computer to edit $2500 get a mac you start quickly low learning curve , works right out of the box
Software $1000 Adobe Premiere is good although there are others
Extra Drives $500
Advertising for the year $4000
includes wedding shows , your own website , adds with " the Knot" good wedding website that can get you business , Bus cards, Wedding shows can get you allot of business but not all agree but this is a good place to start, go where the brides are. Last show we were at we got 10 weddings in less than a month.

lets add it up. $19,250.00

This is start up cost, work out of you home.

If you do weddings on the week end you wont have much time for family, so if you have kids this could be a problem.

So after this is all paid for you can make a living. I make $75 k. I also shoot photos with the wedding and add another 40k.

email me I will give you help if you want it, and I will show you what to avoid and show and tell how to make money. tipphillvideo@twcny.rr.com
Walt Paluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Wedding videography is kind of like Amway. Can you make a good living at it?? Absolutely, but very few people do in the end. To drink the Kool Aid or not, that is the question.
Mick Haensler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #20
Trustee

I love do weddings, and believe it or not, I'm not even doing that for money,
of course I charge clients, every work should be rewarded, but I don't depend on the money from my video work, they go straight to the equipment upgrades, now I'm collecting for the RED set;
I like to keep my video business part time, and I like to be busy all the time;
it's just too bad I have to sleep, I could use that time to go to the film school.
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #21
Major Player

Hi Walt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Paluch View Post
Go for it, but it will cost you to start up, so i will make you a Real List:
2 HD Cameras $6000 to Canon xla1 although you can go other ways
4 extra camera batteries $300
1 HD burner & blu-ray player $750
2 Camera real camera bags $500
2 Tripods real tripods $1000 if you buy cheap you will buy them over and over
2 Wireless mics $700
1 HD TV $1000 to show your work at you home if you work out of it.
1 set of on and off camera lighting $1000
1 computer to edit $2500 get a mac you start quickly low learning curve , works right out of the box
Software $1000 Adobe Premiere is good although there are others
Extra Drives $500
Advertising for the year $4000

lets add it up. $19,250.00

This is start up cost, work out of you home.
Great list. I always wanted to see what my total would be:

Two used XHA1, 1 HV30...$6000
Batteries (generic), W.A. Lenses...$400
Tool Box with wheels and and handle - everything goes in...$75
3 iriver recorders, 3 Giant Squid mics...$200
MacBook Pro, external monitor, Final Cut Studio...$4000
eSATA drives, eSATA Express Card and Drive Dock...$400
Reception Light system from www.ReceptionLight.com...$800
Tripods, heads, Bogen 562B Monopod, Glidecam Pro...$900
First year advertising...Get out there and do as much as you can for next to nothing, get highlights online a.s.a.p. after the event on a clean, well designed template and have a price list handy to give people for your second year in the business.

Total: Under $13,000
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:36 PM   #22
Regular Crew

95% of the video I do is weddings. My main income is from my DJ business, I started doing wedding video to supplement that income and justify the money I spent getting a broadcast production degree. The majority of wedding videographers in my area are either part-time, or photogs that do video and there are 2 other DJ companies that offer video (of questionable quality). As I learn more and develop my skills I am finding a greater interest in the video side and looking for ways to branch out and increase the video business. I have also started working with my church on various video projects. At this point I would love to do video full time and I think the opportunity is there, I just need to create it.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I love do weddings, and believe it or not, I'm not even doing that for money,
of course I charge clients, every work should be rewarded, but I don't depend on the money from my video work, they go straight to the equipment upgrades, now I'm collecting for the RED set;
I like to keep my video business part time, and I like to be busy all the time;
it's just too bad I have to sleep, I could use that time to go to the film school.
I find film school really does help with wedding videos. I am currently going and I learn something new every day that I think... hmm I could add that to a video.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques