DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   About your package names... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/223884-about-your-package-names.html)

Jeff Emery April 21st, 2009 06:13 PM

About your package names...

I've checked out a lot of people's websites here and there. Sometimes the names they give their wedding packages are rather interesting.

Now of course, not everyone uses the same thought process when coming up with the names of their packages. Some folks have some rather unique names. But I have noticed that, when it comes to giving names to their wedding package offerings, there seems to be three main "crowds".

There's the GEM crowd. They give their packages names like Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond. And, variations like Emerald, Amethyst, etc.

Then there's the PRECIOUS METALS crowd. Package names include Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc.

And then there's that crowd that seems to get their inspiration from pizza. They'll give their packages such names as Deluxe, Supreme, and Ultimate.

So what do you call your packages? And how did you come up with those names?

I only offer 2 packages nowadays. The Run & Gun and the Run & Gun Plus One. You can probably figure out the Run & Gun part. The Plus One is a (usually) stationary 2nd camera.

Jeff

Matt Barwick April 21st, 2009 06:28 PM

I went down the silver/gold/platinum road a few years ago...and maybe even the precious metals too!? I'm yet to try pizza offerings...

Now I have my packages set out like a restaurant menu and offer entrée/mains/dessert. Most couples seem to like it and nearly always comment on it.

Chris Davis April 21st, 2009 06:28 PM

LOL - Pizza crowd!

Back when I had names, it was The Main Event, The Documentary, and The Love Story. It wasn't initially supposed to be based on the "small, medium, large" concept, but rather three distinct styles of shooting. At least that was my goal.

Joel Peregrine April 21st, 2009 07:00 PM

Hi Jeff,

I was going with the movie theme for a while - People's Choice, Golden Globe, Emmy and Oscar. I recently changed it to more descriptive naming - documentary and wedding film. I think its something that has to evolve with the market and what you're offering.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Emery (Post 1121762)
I've checked out a lot of people's websites here and there. Sometimes the names they give their wedding packages are rather interesting.

Now of course, not everyone uses the same thought process when coming up with the names of their packages. Some folks have some rather unique names. But I have noticed that, when it comes to giving names to their wedding package offerings, there seems to be three main "crowds".

There's the GEM crowd. They give their packages names like Sapphire, Ruby, Diamond. And, variations like Emerald, Amethyst, etc.

Then there's the PRECIOUS METALS crowd. Package names include Silver, Gold, Platinum, etc.

And then there's that crowd that seems to get their inspiration from pizza. They'll give their packages such names as Deluxe, Supreme, and Ultimate.

I only offer 2 packages nowadays. The Run & Gun and the Run & Gun Plus One. You can probably figure out the Run & Gun part. The Plus One is a (usually) stationary 2nd camera.

Jeff

Blake Cavett April 21st, 2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Barwick (Post 1121764)
I went down the silver/gold/platinum road a few years ago...and maybe even the precious metals too!? I'm yet to try pizza offerings...

Now I have my packages set out like a restaurant menu and offer entrée/mains/dessert. Most couples seem to like it and nearly always comment on it.

LOVE the menu! That is VERY original. My hat's off to you!

Danny O'Neill April 21st, 2009 07:14 PM

Package name was a tough one for us.

We didnt want the standard metals or gems. It seemed a bit 'standard' (sorry to all those using them).

The name is important as you want the bride to talk about it. They would much rather tell their friends how they went for the platinum package rather than the "cotton" (Ive seen some using materials like paper, cotton etc).

The packages should also make sense. You know the gold package has more than the silver.

For us it was the Simple (wanted simplicity but a friend of ours already took that) and the dream. Dream sounds better than ultimate. But were not looking to drop the simple as no one ever buys it.

Susanto Widjaja April 21st, 2009 07:40 PM

Our packages name are based on movie titles with their corresponding quote

The Notebook
“do you think our love can make miracles? I do”

Serendipity
“..a fortunate accident.”

Love Actually
“ to me.. you are perfect.”

Moulin Rouge
“..to love and to be loved in return.”

Ever After
“...fortunately, I tripped over an angel”

It might come a bit cheesy for some, but I liked it! so went ahead with it.

Santo

J.J. Kim April 21st, 2009 07:57 PM

Our company name is Orange, so I made it like below:

Navel Orange (basic)
Valencia Orange (medium, most popular)
Persian Orange (higher price with extras)

Brides seem to like the name, so.

JJ

Dawn Brennan April 21st, 2009 09:09 PM

Oh wow... Now you guys got me thinking! I go with the standard Metals... Platinum, Gold, Silver with one top package called "The Works" that I am currently working to rename. Now you all have me wanting to rename ALL of them. Love the menu idea... awesome! And also the movie one. I'm going to lose sleep over this until I come up with something new now!

Ethan Cooper April 21st, 2009 09:20 PM

could always just cut to the chase and use:

least expensive
mid priced
most expensive

Matt Barwick April 21st, 2009 09:28 PM

With my 'menu', I also offer 'side dishes' which provides an area for upgrades - additional cams, clips etc.

It's funny - I think that when offering multiple packages, anything that can be viewed as 'tiered' in perceived quality/value has a chance of working, which is probably why gold/silver/platinum, ruby/emerald/diamond has been so popular over the years.

A couple of examples off the top of my head...

Film festivals packages:
Tropfest/Tribeca/Cannes

Rock band packages:
Led Zeppelin/Rolling Stones/Beatles

I've got photographer friends that used to offer famous couple packages:
Bonny & Clyde/John & Yoko/Clark & Lois

I'm sure you get the idea...As usual, I tend to think the only limit is your imagination.

Matt.

P.S. Love it Ethan...maybe:
cheapskate/middle class/you're loaded

Oren Arieli April 21st, 2009 10:50 PM

Maybe I should go completely nuts and start using animal names:

The Skunk (when your budget stinks)
The Cougar (cause you won't go down without a fight)
The Koala (eats, shoots and leaves)
The Vampire Bat (blood-sucking expensive)

I've dropped the all the names and gone with a-la-carte. The packages reminded me too much of shopping for a mattress.

Darren Smith April 22nd, 2009 12:19 AM

We originally had three packages

Celebration - covered ceremony & family photos
Majestic - above + photoshoot & intro @ reception
Gala - full day including preps, speeches and first dance

Then we changed our packages this year and our structure so we went with Sovereign - basic package and Regal - full package. Only changed the names to dissociate from our original package branding.

Hey Matt

very clever with the menu idea!

Cheers
Darren

Monday Isa April 22nd, 2009 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ethan Cooper (Post 1122350)
could always just cut to the chase and use:

least expensive
mid priced
most expensive

LMAO!!!! That may actually work Ethan. ^_^

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Emery (Post 1121762)
Jeff

Doing Quinceanera's my packages are Doll, Ring, Crown, and Dress. Goes with the important items they need for their day.

Noel Lising April 22nd, 2009 08:57 AM

I don't name my packages because I think every available name has been taken.

Mine reads

Package 1
Package 2

then inquire about our Economy Package.