SDE tips and tricks - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #16
Major Player

Oh I know, I mean using the lighter camera, with the shallow DoF would give us the ability to be more creative faster. Therefore improving the quality of the SDE.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM   #17
Trustee

And I right to say some of you are showing the end result directly of the timeline via a long vga/dvi cable? So does it mean that you are showing it as a preview screen? Otherwise ppl were traditionally printing to tape?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:46 AM   #18
Trustee

Oops, double post. Anyway, how many time is usually available for a reception? 4hrs?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM   #19
Major Player

Hi Sean,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
And I right to say some of you are showing the end result directly of the timeline via a long vga/dvi cable? So does it mean that you are showing it as a preview screen? Otherwise ppl were traditionally printing to tape?
Yes - its is DVI to the projector with the projector being a full-screen version of the timeline.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 09:02 PM   #20
Major Player

Have you guys had problems with connecting mac to projectors?

I'm about to connect my macbook pro next sunday and I'm freaking out.

Will contact the projector company to ask on monday.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:55 PM   #21
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja View Post

I believe u need an adaptor from mac to connect to most projectors with standard inputs.

And you need to take care of the audio too.. A 3.5mm audio cable from your mac to the PA system's amplifier. Should be of those mic jacks or XLR type ?
Wee Seng Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM   #22
Regular Crew

In order to connect sterio signal into the PA you need to have in mind that an XLR connector can only accept mono signal and it depends on mixing console if there is a sterio jack or TRS (looks identical) you need to use two XLR or TRS.

When a TRS is used to make a balanced connection, the two active conductors are both used for a monaural signal. The ring, used for the right channel in stereo systems, is used instead for the inverting input. This is a common use in small audio mixing desks, where space is a premium and they offer a more compact alternative to XLR connectors. Another advantage offered by TRS connectors used for balanced microphone inputs is that a standard unbalanced signal lead using a mono jack plug can simply be plugged into such an input. The ring (right channel) contact then makes contact with the plug body, correctly grounding the inverting input.

The disadvantage of using TRS jacks for balanced audio connections is that the ground mates last and the socket grounds the plug tip and ring when inserting or pulling out the plug. This causes bursts of hum, cracks and pops and may stress some outputs as they will be short circuited briefly, or longer if the plug is left half in. Professional audio equipment uses XLR connectors which mate the ground signal on pin 1 first.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:48 PM   #23
Major Player

this is a long thread but one suggestion I will make that will make SDE really easier in terms of detail shots of the church. get there on rehersal day and get all the church shots out of the way.

sometimes, wedding decors are there too and if they are, get them.

hope this helps
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:

It totally depends on what inputs your projector has and what outputs your MacBook Pro has. If its a new MacBook Pro they use a miniature DVI port. Older models use DVI. The projector may have one or a combination of VGA, DVI or HDMI inputs. There are adapters for DVI for VGA and HDMI. For audio I ask the dj or band what connector they prefer, RCA (phono), 1/4" or XLR and attach what they need. In case of technical difficulty or if the placement of the dj or band isn't right for the projection I have a 15" powered speaker on stand-by. That has XLR and 1/4" inputs to choose from.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 06:37 AM   #25
Major Player

hi guys,

thank you for all the tips and tricks provided. I have finished the (half) same day edit last sunday with a success (i finished it so i think its quiet a successful one for me)

You can have a look at it on the other thread that i have posted.

Thanks again all! all the help is very very much appreciated.

What I can say is, SDE is NOT easy................. lots of heart pumping....

Santo
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
hi guys,

thank you for all the tips and tricks provided. I have finished the (half) same day edit last sunday with a success (i finished it so i think its quiet a successful one for me)

You can have a look at it on the other thread that i have posted.

Thanks again all! all the help is very very much appreciated.

What I can say is, SDE is NOT easy................. lots of heart pumping....

Santo
Put up a link so we can see your work :)
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
Put up a link so we can see your work :)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...m-concept.html

there you go :)
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #28
Major Player

summary

Could I just post what my workflow here to share with everyone since I think a lot of people would find this to be useful. Also because the reason that i started this thread was to help me doing my first SDE few weeks ago.

It was a 3 people team that day, its our first one so we want to be safe and go for 3 people. Plus the client wants everything captured with 2 cameras all the time. I think we could do with 2 people next time if we want to.

So basically 2 people capturing the prep, one person assisting

while travelling to church, one person capturing with mbp.

while filming ceremony, 2 people shoot with fresh tape one person still capturing

ceremony finished, ceremony tapes are captured
* here i was planning to capture the whole 2 tapes, but decided to just capture walking the aisle, vows and wedding kiss because of time. ( I think I made the right move)

start edit at 4.30pm while the other 2 crew shoot the location shoot, finished the edit at 7pm ready to render.

I was rendering to photo-jpeg and found that it needs 1 hour to render. I straight away canceled that and went for reference movie with current setting which is 1080i.

I was kinda worried whether my laptop would cope with playing it or not but I just went with it.

it took 25 mins to render and it played beautifully and with HD quality as opposed to the photo-jpeg SD that I was planning to export.

we showed the movie at 8pm and everybody loved it. The MC actually asked me to go to the front and talk about the concept of the whole imagining your day like. That was unexpected.. but kinda fun hahaha...

next time I would try to incorporate the location shoot footage to the SDE.. hopefully can make that work.

So thanks again everyone for the help you put in this thread, especially to mr Von! :)

Santo
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:41 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Glad to hear that everything went as planned without a hitch. SDEs are definitely fun and exciting to to put together (as long as they go as planned).

So do we get to see the SDE you've put together?

Here is one I did a few weeks back. Lot of the tips and advices from this thread were implemented in the workflow of this SDE. Thanks to Von and rest of the gang for sharing their knowledge and experience.

Cathy & Andy :: The SDE! on Vimeo
Old May 27th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Purad View Post
Glad to hear that everything went as planned without a hitch. SDEs are definitely fun and exciting to to put together (as long as they go as planned).

So do we get to see the SDE you've put together?
http://www.vimeo.com/4610170

There you go :)

Santo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques