Legal Question about filming weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old April 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM   #1
Major Player

Legal Question about filming weddings

Ok, this may seem like a ridiculous question but, I was wondering if theres any legal concerns when filming the guests at a wedding. After all, its not like they typically agree to sign a waiver staing that the can be filmed. Does any one think there is need for concern here?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 04:17 AM   #2
Major Player

My contract includes a clause that states that the bride and groom are responsible for making sure anybody who might appear in the finished product (or any subsequent application of the footage) consent to being video'd. Anyone present for the event is automatically giving consent to have the camera aimed at them, and I'm not liable if they have a problem with it. That being said, I do make every effort to be respectful of peoples' space, and if they look like they don't want to be filmed, I usually don't film them. The focus should be primarily the b&g anyway.
Old April 27th, 2009, 11:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is fine to tape people in a public setting as long as you don't publicly display them without a waiver. Private video is different than broadcast.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I think a weding is one of those events where it's generally understood by anyone who attends that there will be photos and/or video taken and they might be in them. 99.9% of the time there shouldn't be an issue but you never know these days.

Christopher's method of having a clause in the contract signed by the bride and groom is an excellent idea. That way you have a signed document showing that it was their responsibility to take care of this matter and if any problems arise that should take the heat off you.
Stan Harkleroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Inner Circle

that's the rub - weddings are not public events, they are private, with guests receiving invitations. Not sure of the law on the other side of the water, but essentially private functions don't have those kind of restrictions. I'd suggest that by accepting the invitation to come, they have accepted the features of a typical wedding, so flash photography, getting your image recorded on video and being exposed to awful guests comes with the invite?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques