DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   Audio Capture during Reception- Best Practice (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/234621-audio-capture-during-reception-best-practice.html)

Aaron J. Yates May 6th, 2009 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 1138626)
So it would be safe to plug in the recorder as long as you make sure it's the speaker at the end of the daisy chain?

Noel,

Yes, for an active speaker. That is, a speaker that has the amplifier built in. Passive speakers also have a thru option, but will be a "powered" thru. You don't want to plug in a recorder to a thru on a passive speaker.

Just make sure you know that it's an active speaker and not a passive speaker.

A passive speaker has no built-in amp, but instead it's powered by an amplifier and the power travels along the heavy speaker cable. An active speaker is one that has the amp built into the speaker itself.

Hope this helps.

Yang Wen May 6th, 2009 12:13 PM

Anyone using an Olympus LS10? Or is that a bit overkill for wedding audio? Something like the H2 would be fine?

Aaron J. Yates May 6th, 2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1138693)
Anyone using an Olympus LS10? Or is that a bit overkill for wedding audio? Something like the H2 would be fine?

I don't think the Olympus or the H2 are overkill. Especially for use as a backup or to plug in to the DJ system as we discussed above. I use the Edirol R-09.

Roland U.S. - R-09: WAVE/MP3 Recorder

The problem I've encountered is it really makes a huge difference where you position the R-09 if you're not plugged in to the mixer. I've tried to record a couple of concerts with it just sitting next to me, and it's failed miserably. Don't know if the Olympus is any better, but I'd recommend at least a good shotgun mic plugged into it.

Yang Wen May 6th, 2009 04:24 PM

Shotgun mic? But I'm only interested in capturing good ambient stereo/surround audio.. like guests reacting to a speech etc... I just ordered two H2s Will place one strategically in the room, record on 4 channel surround mode. Put one maybe by the couple to capture their reactions and my Oly DS30 + Lav mic hooked up to the podium... Then I've got the AKG PR81 Wireless lav going to my camera... That should cover it eh?

I've read reviews saying the H2 has a noisy external mic pre-amp.. but I figured that it's only noise to anal audiophiles.. it's probably more than adequate to record audio for a wedding video.

Aaron J. Yates May 6th, 2009 06:48 PM

I said shotgun mic just because that's generally what I have with me. Really any mic that picks up ambient audio will work. I don't like using the built-in microphones on the small recorders because they're noisy and they have limited frequency range.

I think your setup should be more than adequate for wedding video sound.