single cam wedding coming up...what to do? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
In my experience it is very rare. In Cincinnati half or more of our weddings are in Catholic churches and you can almost never go behind the priest, or anywhere on the altar. Some churches, particularly African-American ones, are extremely liberal, but I get to very few of those, unfortunately.

I've seen more than one wedding video that Mark has done with a shot from behind the officiant and I alway marvel at that. But I also think in his area of the country churches are more liberal with things, mostly protestant. But I have seen some protestant demoninations that are even touchier than the Catholics about these things.

I recently got a shot from behind on the side where there was an aisle that went down one side of the altar to the rear of the church. The priest was not happy with me being there, but I was so still and kept a solemn look on my face, and I think the "damage" was minimal. I got a great shot and he was friendly enough afterwards.
haha. That reminds me what my photographer friend told me about something similar. He said "don't ask for permission before, ask for forgiveness after".

I could never do that. haha
Brad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #32
Inner Circle

in most catholic churches I've shot in here in Chicagoland if you ask for forgiveness later, you will im most cases get kicked out and banned from the church. Don't laugh, I know people it's happened to, and frankly I don't blame the officiant. It's his house his rules. Now having said that, I have worked in some churches that are quite liberal and OK with being on the altar but in my experience, in this area 95% of them, it's a no-no.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #33
Inner Circle

Your friend was right though, IMO. I discreetly avoid all contact with the church people when possible, keep a very low profile, and then at the last minute do what I need to do. If they approach me I keep it light and friendly and avoid asking questions. I will remark how lovely the church is, how wonderful the bride and groom seem to be, etc., and all is usually fine. I have even gone so far as to complement the wedding coordinator on her dress, and what a great job she seems to be doing. But there are those who have very strict rules, and when I'm told to not do something I don't do it.

I always try to stay discreet and be sensible. I have heard horror stories about videographers/photograhers that actually will climb onto the altar during a ceremony.

You seem concerned enought about the right things Brad, as you get more familiar with the rythym of weddings it will get much easier, but it never becomes a walk in the park.

I'm actually in the process of learning still phtography. I'm beginning to believe shooting stills is easier, once you acquire the skill set for shooting with a still camera, which is not easy.

Video is a pain, and I am frankly getting tired of it. Customers are almost always more concerned with their still photos, but when its over they are much more interested in their video. It is often an afterthought prior to the wedding, but then afterwards it is all they want to see.

They are not often interested in the planning stage for the video, and act as if there is nothing to it, but will spend two or three sessions talking with their photographer.
I can't believe how many times after the wedding they ask if I got such and such, cause the photographer missed it.

Sorry for the rant! I don't know where that came from!
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques