DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding / Event Videography Techniques (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/)
-   -   24p (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-videography-techniques/235061-24p.html)

Randy Johnson May 10th, 2009 11:24 AM

24p

Is anyone shooting weddings in 24? Full weddings not just montages and love storys but full blown garter bouquet weddings? My cameras only shoot in 30p or 24p and I dont like the studdery look (like I have posted in a bunch of forums) I need to know if its just me or if your brides like it or hate it.

Travis Cossel May 10th, 2009 12:18 PM

I love shooting in 24p. You just have to be aware of how you're shooting. If you pan the camera quickly across a detailed scene, it won't look good. Things like that.

Randy Johnson May 10th, 2009 03:56 PM

It seems like I may need to change the way I do table shots, I useally do a quick pan across each table. So do you do all static shots? do you pan at all? I take it the studdering doesnt bother your brides?

Stephen J. Williams May 10th, 2009 08:00 PM

I agree with Travis... I think 24p looks great. Slow movements is key... Plus you have that extra stop of light that can be usefull during receptions.
I could be wrong and someone correct me if I am. But I think the general rule of thumb is to take 7 seconds to get from one side of the screen to the next during a pan.

Taky Cheung May 10th, 2009 11:38 PM

I only shoot at 30p. Besides panning is an issue, I also need to create slomo highlights. slowing down 24p 50% is way too stuttering for me.

Ram Purad May 12th, 2009 07:59 AM

Any of you guys shooting mixed? Meaning, shooting in 60i format (for better slo-mo) with your steadicam cam and shooting in 24p format with your tripod cam. Like many others, I love the look of 24p but don't like the fact that its not slo-mo friendly when it come to slowing down movement shots (ie. steadicam shots).

John Moon May 12th, 2009 08:17 AM

We shoot all 24p. You have to a bit careful on a pan but we limit that anyway. If you are on Steadicam and are tracking, 24p looks very good. It stays on the subject but blurs the background just a bit. Once you learn to work with it, it's hard to go back to 60i, shooting progressive gives you another edge when trying to get a filmic look, among other things. We don't do much slo mo but if you are in 24 and want to slow it down, use Twixter.

Tim Harjo May 12th, 2009 04:05 PM

I use 24p. I only slow my footage down to 70 - 80% during slow motion shots.

Travis Cossel May 12th, 2009 05:08 PM

I slow my 24p footage down to 50% and I think it looks fine. It's not buttery smooth, but I certainly don't think it looks anywhere near bad. You can also use Twixtor if the slight stutter of slo-mo bothers you. I'll bet NONE of your clients notice it, though.

J.J. Kim May 12th, 2009 08:57 PM

I shoot in 30p. I did 24p once with wedding and didn't like it when slow mo came to an issue. I tried Twixtor and didn't work great... it was only down to 70% and looked OK but when slow-mo was 50%, it started to look bad...
30p still gives a film look (not as much as 24p) and it saves me time when I export to DVD or web video because I don't have to deinterlace it.
just my opinion.

JJ

Randy Johnson May 13th, 2009 01:15 PM

Just a side note here, I shot in 24p and it looked o.k. It still bothers me but maybe i'll get used to it. As far as the slo mo thing goes I use Edius and I was playing around I found that the soft motion filter (I think thats what its called) and it made a big difference in the slow motion. you might want to give it a shot.