24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old May 10th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #1
Trustee

24p

Is anyone shooting weddings in 24? Full weddings not just montages and love storys but full blown garter bouquet weddings? My cameras only shoot in 30p or 24p and I dont like the studdery look (like I have posted in a bunch of forums) I need to know if its just me or if your brides like it or hate it.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I love shooting in 24p. You just have to be aware of how you're shooting. If you pan the camera quickly across a detailed scene, it won't look good. Things like that.
Old May 10th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Trustee

It seems like I may need to change the way I do table shots, I useally do a quick pan across each table. So do you do all static shots? do you pan at all? I take it the studdering doesnt bother your brides?
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #4
Major Player

I agree with Travis... I think 24p looks great. Slow movements is key... Plus you have that extra stop of light that can be usefull during receptions.
I could be wrong and someone correct me if I am. But I think the general rule of thumb is to take 7 seconds to get from one side of the screen to the next during a pan.
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 11:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I only shoot at 30p. Besides panning is an issue, I also need to create slomo highlights. slowing down 24p 50% is way too stuttering for me.
Old May 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Any of you guys shooting mixed? Meaning, shooting in 60i format (for better slo-mo) with your steadicam cam and shooting in 24p format with your tripod cam. Like many others, I love the look of 24p but don't like the fact that its not slo-mo friendly when it come to slowing down movement shots (ie. steadicam shots).
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #7
Major Player

We shoot all 24p. You have to a bit careful on a pan but we limit that anyway. If you are on Steadicam and are tracking, 24p looks very good. It stays on the subject but blurs the background just a bit. Once you learn to work with it, it's hard to go back to 60i, shooting progressive gives you another edge when trying to get a filmic look, among other things. We don't do much slo mo but if you are in 24 and want to slow it down, use Twixter.
Old May 12th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use 24p. I only slow my footage down to 70 - 80% during slow motion shots.
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I slow my 24p footage down to 50% and I think it looks fine. It's not buttery smooth, but I certainly don't think it looks anywhere near bad. You can also use Twixtor if the slight stutter of slo-mo bothers you. I'll bet NONE of your clients notice it, though.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Major Player

I shoot in 30p. I did 24p once with wedding and didn't like it when slow mo came to an issue. I tried Twixtor and didn't work great... it was only down to 70% and looked OK but when slow-mo was 50%, it started to look bad...
30p still gives a film look (not as much as 24p) and it saves me time when I export to DVD or web video because I don't have to deinterlace it.
just my opinion.

JJ
J.J. Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #11
Trustee

Just a side note here, I shot in 24p and it looked o.k. It still bothers me but maybe i'll get used to it. As far as the slo mo thing goes I use Edius and I was playing around I found that the soft motion filter (I think thats what its called) and it made a big difference in the slow motion. you might want to give it a shot.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques