Thoughts on Our New Logo - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM   #16
Trustee

#1 seems hard to read with the butterfly going through the text. Also the serif's on the font somewhat clash with the smoothness of the butterfly. May be? well any it seems a more scriptish font is needed, or at least something less harsh / blocky.

I like the idea of the butterfly inbetween the letters, but I don't know how that plays out in scaling, etc.

It is a toss up for me on the rest. They all look great!
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks, Jason. My first thought when we got the original design (the first logo) was exactly the same as yours. I don't like that the butterfly element interacts with the type since both are dark and there's no real contrast between them. To me it makes it harder to read, especially since the letters are so close together.

And to be honest, we're really shooting for modern and somewhat minimalist, and the first logo just feels too bold and busy to me and doesn't offer any interesting contrast.

I prefer the 2nd because of how the type has this modern minimalist feel, especially since I increased the kerning and spread the letters farther apart. I also like how the type feels lighter than the butterfly, so the logo has an interesting contrast to it. What I don't like is how long the logo ends up being. Coming from a past design background, I always preferred more squarish logos because they are easier to incorporate into other designs. Long logos can be a challenge.

On that note, I think that logo is becoming even more appealing to me since it does have a less traditional 'squarish' design. In a way it represents that we're different, and I think the challenges we'll face with incorporating it into future designs may actually lead to better designs as a result .. because we'll have to take a different approach instead of the tried-and-true approach.

If any of that makes sense ... d;-)

Thanks for the comments, Jason!
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:35 PM   #18
Trustee

[QUOTE=Travis Cossel;1153087]Thanks everyone for responding, and kudos to Dawn for catching the "S" forms in the butterfly./QUOTE]

Dang . . I was thinkign about mention that, but I've been told my my graphic designer (a full time freelance designer) to not mix graphics with text unless it is absolutely critical to the theme / design because it makes printing harder in certain situations.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM   #19
Trustee

#2 & #5 are lighter and cleaner designs but none of them are particularly heavy.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:44 PM   #20
Regular Crew

#2 gets my vote. It's the only one where your name isn't overpowered by the butterfly. However, I would lessen the spacing between the individual letters and I would offset the "Beyond Ordinary" to the left a bit, so that it does not align with the end of your name. Also, this is the thinnest (vertically) of all the logos, so it will fit nicely anywhere. Finally, having the butterfly within the name almost hides the "SS" that jumps off the page at you in the other logos. This is cooler because it will hide from some people only to be found at a later date, and then they'll think, "Oh, that's neat. I didn't even notice that before," much like the hidden arrow in the FedEx logo. (Am I the only one who went for over a decade before having that one pointed out to me?)

By the way, there's nothing wrong with having a few different versions of your logo.

Alec Moreno
http://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2009, 09:34 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Travis,

Great job with studio name, logo, and the tag line. Very catchy.

Nice to see another logo with a butterfly although the shade of the butterfly is different :-)

Out of all the logos, I like 3rd one better. It has a nice variation in the text with the name in bold and the tag line in regular size (although I would reduce the kerning between the company name characters just a little). I like how the butterfly falls nicely into place (unlike #1) with the text.

Just an idea; See how right part of the butterfly looks like letter "S". What if you get rid of letter "s" from the word "studio" and use the butterfly "s" as part of "studio". This way, the butterfly will become part of the logo even more and whole thing will look as one entity.

This is exactly what I 've done for our logo:
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on Our New Logo-butterflysquad_logo.jpg  
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Thanks for the additional comments guys.

Alec - We do indeed plan on having variations of the logo, so good call. I did play a lot with the kerning in that 2nd logo and I just felt the current spacing really brought out the modern and minimalist feel. It seemed like each time I brought the spacing in the logo lost some of that unique feel. I also agree that the butterfly feels more integrated and balanced within that 2nd logo.

Ram - Thanks! I do like #3 specifically for the reason that the tagline and business name have good contrast because of the bolding. I did already try your idea to remove the "S" from studios and use the butterfly element to convey it. Perhaps a better designer could make it work, but every iteration I tried just ended up looking contrived and .. well ... cheezy. The way you've done in your logo looks very nice.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:54 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Travis, I vote for 2nd & 4th. Cleaner designs and easier to read.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 11:32 PM   #24
Inner Circle

Awesome. Thanks everyone for the input, and feel free to keep it coming if you want. We've chosen the 2nd logo and we're currently experimenting with variations on that one to see if we find something better. Maybe I'll post the new iterations when we have them. It'll be pretty subtle changes at that point. Should be sometime tomorrow.
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #25
Major Player

Travis,

I like your choice #2, very nice! The logo(butterfly graphic) and how it is used as letters is very similar to this Jessica Claire - Photographer.

I still like it a lot.
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Thanks, Joe! I do know Jessica Claire but had no idea she had a butterly-ish logo. I like how her's also makes use of the J and C shapes within the butterfly. Clever. I'm also glad to see her design and style are quite different from ours! d;-)
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Hey Travis,

Not sure if you're tallying up the votes here or not, but here's my humble thoughts... :)

#1 would be my pick of the bunch. I like the tight kerning of 'serendipity studios' and also the serif of the text.

The tagline idea works for me well too, although I feel it could be shifted down just a touch to keep it separate it from the main text. The butterfly might also be just a little dark with the black text.

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S. Love the meaning of 'serendipity' and think it's a great name for a studio.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:13 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barwick View Post
P.S. Love the meaning of 'serendipity' and think it's a great name for a studio.
Especially a photography studio, right? d;-)

Thanks for the comments and the vote. We did decide to go with #2 though, as it got a lot of votes (here and elsewhere) and better represents the modern feel we're trying to achieve.

Thanks a bunch for the post, though!
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #29
Major Player

I really dig the name of your studio too! I think that "personal name"-studio or photography is so overdone and it nice to see a creative name other than one's personal name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thanks, Joe! I do know Jessica Claire but had no idea she had a butterly-ish logo. I like how her's also makes use of the J and C shapes within the butterfly. Clever. I'm also glad to see her design and style are quite different from ours! d;-)
Joe Allen Rosenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:56 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Cool. I'm glad you like it! When I initially opened up my business my thought was that a 'personal name' studio would feel more small-time until several years had gone by and I had market rep. I wanted the opportunity to start more quickly, and plus my name isn't very sexy, so I went with DreamBIG Productions. I was also planning for the future in case I wanted to sell the business before retirement. Same thing for my wife's business.

There's actually a bit of secret with her new name and logo, but I can't reveal anything just yet. d;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques