Videographer/Cinematographer/Filmographer?! how about one new general term?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #1
Major Player

Videographer/Cinematographer/Filmographer?! how about one new general term?!

Over on the UK forum, we're contemplating coming up with new language for what we, as people that film weddings, are.

Most of us hate the label 'wedding videographer', but accept that we really have to stick with it coz it's what all brides mags and forums (and the general population) are used to.

But as an idea, why don't we just all agree on a new modern name? 'Videographer' sounds so 80's IMO!

- Is 'cinematographer' a bit OTT for some of us, and not general enough for everyone?
- 'filmographer'? ('film' seems more up-to-date than 'video')
- or something completely new and fresh?

Let's face it, we all argue about the right, or most appropriate term - so can't we just come up with one new term? Or would that cause more arguments?

Obviously i'm not suggesting we must do this, but just wondered 'why not' if it's a case of the majority agreeing!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
'Videographer' sounds so 80's IMO!
Interesting. I "wear" the term Videographer VERY proudly (usually with "Broadcast" in front of it) on this side of the pond, but I'm also NOT a "Wedding Videographer". Done two weddings in my life and it didn't work for me. Kudos to those of you who do weddings and MASSIVE kudos to those who do it well.
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #3
Major Player

yeah, sorry, i should point out that i'm talking about wedding videography only... certainly don't want to offend 'broadcast videographers' :)
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I just get called the "Camera Dude" or "Video Dude ". I guess we could start the "Society of Professional Camera Dudes".

But yes, I'm not overly fussed on the term "Videographer" either.
Steve Elgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Major Player

LOL, at 'camera dude' :D

i mean my personal preference is 'filmographer'.

No matter what you shoot with, be it a camcorder, a videocamera, a 5dmk2, an iPhone...or 'how' you shoot (documentary, cinematic...)...then you're still 'filming' - so 'filmographer' seems as general and correct as anything else?

the exciting thing is that we could get all the Bride Mags etc to write an article on this official name change - summing up how oldschool wedding videographers are now modern filmographers. i think it would create some buzz and eliminate some stigma and opinions (well, we get it in the UK anyway!)
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #6
Major Player

I generally refer to myself as a video producer. But the general public still uses the term videographer so I use the term sometimes myself.

I don't think filmographer sounds very good or is even appropriate. You're not filming, you're videotaping. Accept it.

You can call yourself a grilled cheese sandwich. But that doesn't make you one.

Who cares what name or label they give you? As long as the check clears.

Jeff
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #7
Major Player

sorry Jeff, i don't mean to rub you/anyone up the wrong way. i was only asking for opinions, and naively expecting the majority to agree.

Just for consideration, the online Dictionary definitions:
FILM:
Verb
a. to photograph with a movie or video camera
b. to make a film of (a screenplay or event)

VIDEO:
Verb
- to record (a television programme or an event) on video
Adjective
- relating to or used in producing televised images

we're not all technically recording on to video...but 'filming' could refer to recording on to any media?!

as i say, i'm only wondering general opinions....yours is totally valid. if you think it's pointless to even question, then that's fine. it's just that in the UK, there is a definite stigma about 'videographers', and it is only when people actually see us work at weddings, or our demos, do they admit they had no idea how far we'd come.

ur fellow grilled cheese sandwich :)
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
certainly don't want to offend 'broadcast videographers' :)
ZERO offense taken! It's just that when I get introduced to new people as a "videographer" they ALL ask "oh, so you do weddings?!?!? My <insert relative/friend/enemy here> is getting married and..." so I pre-empt by adding "broadcast". That way I START OUT sounding like a snob instead of having to EXPLAIN that I'm a snob... <tongue planted firmly in cheek>
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

What's wrong with "filmmaker"?

There are some inherent issues with Cinematographer (ignores all of the editing work we do) and Filmography, which is already a defined term (a filmmaker's portfolio of work).
Old June 19th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #10
New Boot

I vote for "Emotive Visual Motion Artist".
Rashdan Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Major Player

I agree 100% Richard - "Videographer" sounds so dated to me and probably to others as well. It seems that the term Cinematographer is growing in popularity among studios over here in the US and may be the best fit at this point. The biggest issue I see is for those studios who rely on clients finding them via web search. I't going to take some time before any new term takes hold. Until then, our customers are going to continue to google "wedding videographer"

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Art:
yeah, and 'IF' a name change occurred, it would definitely cause a lot of grief, and would prob take 1year+ to get fully implemented, and for people to get used to. There are companies out there with 'videography' in their company name title, so they of course wouldn't be very happy at all!

so we can either all take this really seriously and have a proper debate with an intended conclusion, or just admit there's no point even discussing it as it will cause too much agro to implement
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:22 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Shahinian View Post
What's wrong with "filmmaker"?

There are some inherent issues with Cinematographer (ignores all of the editing work we do) and Filmography, which is already a defined term (a filmmaker's portfolio of work).
Good suggestion Kevin! I would add Event or Wedding in front of it if your studio's primary work is that!

Event Filmmaker is the title being printed on my new business card!
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #14
Inner Circle

A few random thoughts...

I'm with Steve and "camera dude", he beat me to posting, but it was my first thought... duuuuude!

Language is fluid and often somewhat complex in its evolution. A decade ago if you said you "googled" someone or something, I suspect you might have had a visit from the authorities, now it's common parlance.

We don't go to the "movie store", we go to the "video store" (oddly, to pick up a "movie"/moving picture) on disk, not videotape... (shouldn't that mean we go to the "disk store"?!?!) so I suspect the current expectation of the client is to seek out someone to do a "wedding VIDEO" which is actually a feature shot/edited/delivered digitally in some form or another.

The term "video" is virtually synonomous with "movie" to Joe Q. Public in some respects but in others it carries a stigma of scratchy, jumpy old home videos.

I believe that technology has progressed and continues to do so (particularly the Photo video convergence) and there simply isn't the same stigma when "the public" is used to a wide range and quality of "video" content via YouTube (Shutterfly just added video - it's becoming mainstream and commoditized).

What "Camera dudes" offer as a service varies quite widely, from a cinematic to a documentary "style", much as photographers have fiddled with the definitions of "photojournalist", candid, and "traditional/formal"... I'm not sure how you take radically different styles from "multimedia artists" (hey, how about THAT for a new name!?) and create a catch-all that has enough sex appeal that it "fits" for everyone.

This explains the adverse reaction that "filmographer" (anyone here using "film" as a primary media??). "Film" is that strip of celluloid that gets run through a camera and processed in a lab... no offense intended, but it's "old school". And that may well hold attractions for some markets, but I haven't touched film in a long time, and for my kids it will be part of a history lesson. I'd rather look forward.

Cinematographer is actually nice, yet sounds pretentious - and realistically I ain't no Spielberg... and does he run camera anyway?

Just to toss out some food (and words) for thought, what we do is "personal", we work in "digital multimedia", we produce a "documentary" of an event (or perhaps a "stylized cinematic visual interpretation"). We capture "memories"... and so on.

I think the challenge is to come up with a short word, acronym, or phrase that is inclusive, descriptive, and instantly connotes what us "camera dudes" (editor/producer/director dudes) do. Too bad "dreamweaver" is taken, has a nice ring to it...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM   #15
Major Player

I like filmmaker, but if kevin is a filmmaker then if I put myself in the pecking order below I would say I am wedding pondscum ;)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques