reception music question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old June 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Major Player

reception music question.

Hey guys and gals,

just a quick question...
When you edit the reception, and assuming you do a bit of a montage of clips before the wedding party enters the hall, what style of music do you play? Jazz?

Is Jazz the general consensus for safe/proper music to use for the start of a reception edit?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Major Player

It depends on so many different things.

Is that the mood of the reception?
Is that a type of music the B&G are into?
Does the music fit your editing style?
Old June 21st, 2009, 01:34 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
Hey guys and gals,

just a quick question...
When you edit the reception, and assuming you do a bit of a montage of clips before the wedding party enters the hall, what style of music do you play? Jazz?

Is Jazz the general consensus for safe/proper music to use for the start of a reception edit?
I generally use the music that was actually played at the reception. That way it is the same music they heard.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Trustee

Same as Jason, I mainly use the music that was playing at the time.
Especially if there was something upbeat being played for the intros. So I will start the music with the couples kiss then edit to them walking down the aisle and into cocktail hour and establishing shots for the reception, into the introductions.

Sometimes I find that using another piece of music is better, but it still is usually romantic transitioning to upbeat. It all depends on the couple and the party.

But for the reception itself, it's ALL reception music, nothing is canned.
I try to take great strides to capture the best live audio possible, and use audio recorders, board feeds, wireless, and placed mics to pull it off. All depends on the reception party, as getting studio form a DJ is different than recording a live band.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques