Wedding Lights - Steve Kaeser - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 30th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #31
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B. Turner View Post
Michael do you have any example footage from a reception using the 256 LED's?
Andy, I don't have any footage yet, as I am editing them now.
Just so you know, it's not dramatic, like it lights up everything. As it's just enough light to enhance the image and not be a distraction.

My only complaint, which is with all LED lights, is that LED lights are much more intense in brightness than tungsten lighting. SO while tungsten camera lights look like glowing orbs, LED lights look like super novas. This is due to the fact that tungsten bulbs are strong enough for output, while LED bulbs have to be arranged in an array to get the same output. Teh more LED's the more light output.
Old February 8th, 2010, 01:36 PM   #32
Major Player

Michael, if you had to buy one set, whether it be the reception lighting or the 256 kit, what one would you choose?

Do you ever get complaints about the 256 LED being bothersome to the B&G?

Does the LED look better in the footage compared to the Reception Lighting?

I like idea of just putting on a battery on the back of the light and not worrying about belts too.

What is your recommendation for quality, ease and the lights not being annoying to the client.
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #33
Trustee

Kelly let me try to answer some of your questions...

Quote:
Michael, if you had to buy one set, whether it be the reception lighting or the 256 kit, what one would you choose?
Sorry to say but I still don't know.
The Reception style light with regular tungsten lighting (75w bulbs) work just fine and don't have to be balanced to the room, in many instances. And because they are just one bulb they are not as distracting to look at, as the LED256 is an array of LEDs and very bright. But the overall output of the LED256 is nice. And they do run cooler being LED, as well as being self powered makes them nice, but read my answer below.

Quote:
Do you ever get complaints about the 256 LED being bothersome to the B&G?
I don't get complaints as they are generally up 9-13 feet and out of the line of sight of guests. Photographers love the Reception light setup anyway as it makes it easier for them to see what they are shooting in dark venues. And the output of either of the lights are not strong enough to overpower a DJ light show.

Quote:
Does the LED look better in the footage compared to the Reception Lighting?
If the light is geld to 3200k then the footage looks almost identical as you lose about 1-2 stops when the light is geld down. With the LED256 still giving a little more juice. Keep in mind that LED light falls off quicker than tungsten style lighting.

Quote:
I like idea of just putting on a battery on the back of the light and not worrying about belts too.
I thought that at first, however you are still going to want to add weight to the bottom of your stands. So plan on bringing a sandbag. If you plan on using the battery on the light, then forget about a remote control. The reason being that the remote goes between your power source and your light. When the remote is activated it turns on/off the current, which controls your light. I still like the remote capability of this setup, so I still wind up using a battery belt, which enables me to use the remote control, ss well as giving the light stand needed added weight at the base.

Quote:
What is your recommendation for quality, ease and the lights not being annoying to the client.
I love the Reception Light style setup, as there's no cabling involved, it's remote controlled, unobtrusive, and easy to setup and move where ever you need it to be. Just remember that placement is key so it's not bumped into, as well as make sure that you have weight of some sort at the base so it doesn't tip over easily. The best spots I have found are generally next tot he PA stacks at a reception.

As for LED256 or small on camera style light, I might lean towards the small on camera light, only because the light is better balanced for indoor use. While you could use the light without being color balanced to the room, it's best to use the 3200k gel with the light, but then you sacrifice losing light output by doing so. Also keep in mind, that the LED lights in general are MUCH brighter when look into, as LED lights have to be arranged in an array to achieve the same output as tungsten style lights. So even though the lights are way up out of the line of sight, they will be much more noticeable to everyone.

Sorry that I don't have a difinative answer as this is still a work in progress. But I will say that using a Reception style light is very useful and beneficial.
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #34
Major Player

Great. Thank you. Also, how long does your batteries last on the Reception lighting kit?

Did you make the reception lights yourself? If so, what battery did you buy?
Kelly Langerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #35
Trustee

I did make the kits myself, except for the remote controls which I purchased from Reception Light. I use the Bescor | PRB-24XLR Heavy Duty Starved Electrolyte | PRB24XLR, which lasts me an entire reception at full blast. Keeping in mind that I turn the lights off during dinner.

The belts are very hefty and I am bring along 40lbs of battery, but the run time is great and the weight is perfect for securing the base of the light stands. These babies won't tip over unless someone falls into it. SO keep in mind placement is key.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques