Worst wedding ever at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 19th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Worst wedding ever

Check this out...an outdoor wedding at a country club was delayed 15 minutes due to unexpected weather conditions...it wasn't supposed to rain.

Then, in the first 4 minutes of the processional, one of the guests died in his seat. This delayed the wedding for another half hour.

After that, some crazy lady lost her little puppy dog and started to yell out the dogs name and came right up to the bridal party asking if they could help her find it. This was a disruption that toally blew everyone away.

Then, having three audio recording sources to capture the vows, etc. the wind was blowing so hard, you couldn't make out what anyone was saying.

The unity candle wouldn't stay lit even though it was in a hurricane lamp.

Alter decorations were falling to the ground, flower girl's pettals were blowing away as she tried to place them in front of her as she went down the isle.

These are just a few horrible memories I can recall at this writing.

AND THIS IS JUST THE CEREMONY!!!

The reception turned to sh!t also...I'm not even going to go there.

What can I do?

Turn it all into a music video?
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Trustee

You think you had a bad day...how about this.

Wienermobile Crash: Oscar Mayer Wienermobile crashes into Racine home - WITI
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Tom
Wow. I really, really feel sorry for the B/G. I think you must do your best and get something out of this just to ease their pain.

Stelios
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

(I'm sorry Tom but I have to ask...)

DID YOU FILM SOME SCENE? ANY!

Jokes apart... feel very sorry about the special day of b/g.

Cheers.
Juan Todoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I feel your pain, really. I had the weather and wind on Friday. No one died (although I felt like it myself when it started raining and my B camwas out in itthank goodness it was covered with a garbage bag so no harm but still...)
Anyway, do the best ya can with what ya got that's all you can do.
It may not be the 'award winner' but it will be what happened on their wedding day and while they might not want to be reminded of some of the things that went on it is what happened.
Do what you can with the footage and don't feel bad about it--you don't control the weather or human nature (re: lady looking for her dog).
Good luck
Don
Old July 19th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Major Player

Someone died? Talk about a bad omen...
Old July 19th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #7
Major Player

How about.....

...a post-event interview (simple) with the B&G with their recollections of the day. Even do it as a VO and cut the events to their comments... Use music and some of their narrative. Hey, it might even be somewhat therapeutic for them to talk about it.

I'm trying to imagine the scene of all of this. Wow.
Old July 19th, 2009, 11:23 AM   #8
Trustee

At least you have something to share with couples in the future who are planning their wedding. Gulf - summer - afternoon - outdoor without an easily switchable indoor venue - BAD idea.

Many couples want to have a beautiful outdoor wedding but they also need to consider the risks they are taking. A number of years ago, I spent a year in Orlando Florida. In the summer, it rained almost every afternoon. During these rainstorms it was often VERY windy as well. During the summer, the odds of a weather problem in the gulf states and Florida in the morning is much less than the afternoon. If a couple has a burning desire for an outdoor wedding in your part of the country during the summer, they would be wise to schedule it in the morning rather than the afternoon.

I realize that a videographer can't set a time for a wedding but at least they can share their experience and advise and then the couple can make an informed decision.

To be a little facetious, it's also a bad idea to plan an outdoor wedding in Alaska during December and hope it won't be cold outside.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Someone died in the scene and they still decide to proceed with the wedding ceremony?!!? woow.. what a day!
Old July 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM   #10
Trustee

Wow! I'm laughing but I know I shouldn't be - how do you cope with something like that?

I wonder what the bride & groom think? - if they can look back and laugh then maybe you can do a post wedding interview and include some footage.

If they just want to forget the day then ... I dont know

as far as any part of the day being a bad omen - horse$%#$ - let's not lumber them with that.
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Trustee

Wow. Crazy! I would call the B&G and get a feel for what they want to do. They obviously don't get their money back, but offer some options. Re-dub vows for example. High wind isn't your problem after all. If the B&G are just laughing it off, then proceed as normal. If they are emotionally scared, then.... well.... Lord help you, because that edit will be hard!
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 05:10 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Looks like we are going to do a little ADR work. The bride, groom and pastor are going to do some sync work with the video clips. I know this is additional work, but then they will have the vows etc. in studio quality. I'm thinking of throwing is some ambient wind just to give it a little depth.

By the way, the link to part one of a three part video that is playing at their second reception in Philly is here...

www.bluestarvideo.com/videos/first.wmv
Old July 20th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #13
Regular Crew

What a string of bad luck!

Looks like you made due with what you shot. The song was a great choice!
I'd agree with Jason, feel out the attitude of the BG and move on with caution.
I would defiantly keep in mind that that day is apart of their story! Embrace it!

PS- I LOVE the last shot, what did you use to film that?
Old July 20th, 2009, 12:30 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Mary, that was a 16' camera crane on that last shot...one of my favorite shots as well.
Old July 20th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Tom, that's horrible. I had a wedding last year where the bride's grandma died that morning, but at least she wasn't at the wedding yet. I'm amazed that someone died AT the wedding and it was only delayed a half hour. Good thing this wasn't your first one. d;-)

Great crane shot at the end, btw.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques