transfering files through the net.... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:19 AM   #1
Major Player

transfering files through the net....

I just had a client tell me that her Fiancee' cant watch the pre wedding video that I made for them on Vimeo. He's currently living in another state and can only use the computer at work that has a smart-filter. She wants me to email her the video (which is obviously to big).
Has anyone ever used a free reliable transfer site (not an FTP)? I found some random ones but I would hate to end sending a virus when they attend to download my file.

I'm also going to try streaming the video through my site.

any other recommendations? The file size is just over 100mb

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Major Player

Hey Stephen, I use Mediafire, it is free and all you need is to sign-up.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:20 PM   #3
Major Player

You might also look at USendIt YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I would just upload it to a folder within my website and email them the link so they can download it from there. 100mb isn't too bad for this method.

Alec Moreno
htpp://www.1Day1ShotProductions.com
Alec Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:02 PM   #5
Major Player

Steve, I've tried them all and personally I believe megaupload.com is the best file hosting site out there. Once uploaded, you'll always have your files available online anywhere, anytime. Plus, it allows you free batch uploads. Do check it out!
Old October 21st, 2009, 01:57 PM   #6
New Boot

Reg Carter

FTP's are new to me. If I am sending a video file of 2GB or more on megaupload, does the person on the other end need to be a member to download it?
Thanks,
Reg
Reg Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Major Player

Reg, megaupload only allows files up to 1GB in size. You could break your 2GB file into two using any compression software like WinZip or WinRAR. This way you can upload both parts and have the recipient unpack the two compressed files (using the relevant software) to make them whole again.

The recipient does not have to be a member of megaupload. You will simply send them a link to download the file and they can do it free, after a 45 second countdown of course. Members don't have to wait for the countdown.

Hope this information helps.
Old October 29th, 2009, 10:35 AM   #8
Major Player

Thought I should comment again, sending files via the net is a pain if it is more than 1.5Gb, I am in the predicament right now. I have a 1.5 hours of footage, client wants AVi files, so I broke it down into 8 minute segements ( around 1.9 Gb each)thinking I can just send it via You send it, it is possible but it will take forever. We went old school, she is sending a courier to pick-up the DVD.
Old October 29th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #9
Major Player

Noel, FTP isn't so bad. With a fast connection it would actually be many times faster than courier. Its the file hosting services that are slow and tedious.
Old November 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Major Player

I have been able to successfully send up to 4 gig files on Skype while I was abroad. This is free but requires the recipient to stay connected to Sype and receiving in order to work.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques