What is your Main HD Video Camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Major Player

What is your Main HD Video Camera?

I am curious to what you use for your main camera. I hear so much about CCD and CMOS sensors.

Just curious for those who shoot HD, what is your main camera, and if you were to upgrade right now, what would you upgrade to?

I have fought low light enough with my XH A1's that I am selling them, doing less weddings but going to get something better in low light. I understand I will have to light at wedding receptions, but cant during the weddings, and many of my churches are quite dark. Dark enough I had to use +12 gain at times with the XH A1.

Thanks
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2
Major Player

get the EX3 or anything aht 1/2 chip
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Nguyen View Post
get the EX3 or anything aht 1/2 chip
I do not see anything that the EX3 has over the EX1 that I would use unless I am missing something. And its a lot more money.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Trustee

My main camera is the EX1, will add an EX3 when I can.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM   #5
Major Player

shoulder mount and hybrid view finder i'm sure many more that all i can think of for now
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6

A Cam: Sony EX1
B Cam: JVC HD110 w/ 35mm adapter

All I ever need.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:40 PM   #7
Trustee

Opps, disregard my post. Nevermind.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Major Player

On a cheaper side - FX1000/Z5 for me.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Glad to see so many EX1's thats the way I am leaning.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 07:25 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Here Z5 and FX1000......Great low light.......uffff
Franklin Bencosme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:24 PM   #11
Major Player

I use the H1 for my main camera and the A1 for a second camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I have fought low light enough with my XH A1's that I am selling them, doing less weddings but going to get something better in low light. I understand I will have to light at wedding receptions, but cant during the weddings, and many of my churches are quite dark. Dark enough I had to use +12 gain at times with the XH A1.
Denny, on the A1 try to shoot in 30f and not to use any preset, and if you still need more light then use +6 gain (I never use +12).
Michael Ojjeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:54 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
I am curious to what you use for your main camera. I hear so much about CCD and CMOS sensors.

Just curious for those who shoot HD, what is your main camera, and if you were to upgrade right now, what would you upgrade to?

Thanks
I would suggest to try my PFVISION preset. It's been great when I used to have my A1 for lowlight (better than the standard settings or any other presets I've tried). Look in the XH-A1 sample clips section.

I currently use an HMC150 as main cam and 5dmk2 as B cam. Probably going to add another HMC150 or 5dmk2 to the stable in the next 6 months. I would highly recommend taking a look at the HMC150. You can get 2 for the price of an EX1. If you don't need overcranking in cam and full raster chips, the HMC150 is a good contender.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 01:43 PM   #13
Tourist

Main HD Camera CMOS Rolling Shutter for Receptions

I am in the midst of planning to make the jump to HD. The Ex-1 generates great images however the rolling shutter issue is something that makes me think it twice. Some of the key moments to me in a wedding day are when the bride walks down the aisle with her father, when the bride/groom make their entrance to the reception/their first dance/ cutting of the cake/etc. However this is when everyone from uncle bob to the main photographer is snapping away flashes at a rapid pace. I am always afraid someone is going to notice the half exposed frames and ask "is this a mistake?". Perhaps it will never happen but with the announcement of the firmware for the hpx-300 hopefully should show Sony to wake up.

Also, I have a set of anton-bauer batteries I hate to go to waste along with its charger, adding on the accessories (mics, wireless receivers) to a small camera just makes me think is the hpx300 a viable option? Perhaps JVC? too many choices.
Gabriel Gordillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:26 PM   #14
Regular Crew

FX1 for me, happy with performance and brought a second for a really good price...

Love it when new models come out as good older models that are still sold are available at bargain prices...
Vince Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM   #15
Major Player

5DM2 BABY!

I just sold my XLH1 and one of my XHA1's.. replaced it with a 5DM2 Lenses and gear. Happy I did.. now I want three more.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques