1st Wedding: Suggestions on working w/ Photographer??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 29th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Marks View Post
I feel a bit more calm. David, Vito and Kenzi do you have any video of your first wedding. Im curious to see what you have.
Oh, boy. Too long ago. I remember thinking that there was lots about it that sucked, but it was better than what I had been receiving when I was just editing.

Quote:
Im actually renting 2 sony wireless mics. One for the priest and one for the groom. The bride will be picked up by the grooms mic.
Personally, I would put one on the groom, and one on the podium to catch any reading done by family members. The priest will be picked up most of the time by one of those two. Your choice, though. Maybe ceremonies go differently where you are.

Quote:
I just want to make this video really good. First impressions mean a great deal. Because the next client that comes to me will actually see a Wedding I shot. I want that wedding to be cinematic, dramatic, hip and fun to watch. I hope I can pull all this off or am I putting too much on my plate?
I know what you're saying, but really in your shoes I would just be worried about making sure I have a solid, well shot job under my belt.

Best of luck with the shoot.
Old July 29th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
I know what you're saying, but really in your shoes I would just be worried about making sure I have a solid, well shot job under my belt.
I'll second this. Don't try to get too complicated on your very first shoot. My very first shoot was a single cam deal where I just tried to get the feel for shooting a live event (since I never had before). My second wedding, I had a better idea about what to expect, but I was trying to get familiar with my cam. My third wedding, I used a different cam, so I was back to square 2 with trying to get familiar with the cam. 3 & 4 were with the same cam as #2 so then I was trying to step up my production value and get better audio. I made minor inroads towards a more cinematic production, but all while glued to a tripod with no audio but onboard / shotguns.

It wasn't until my 3rd year of shooting that I used multiple cams, and it wasn't until my 5th year that I used wireless (VHF) mics, three cams, and very cinematic style productions. My 6th year (this year) I added a glidecam, a UHF audio system, and different cam ops (besides my wife) to expand my production abilities.

Baby steps man. Don't bite off too much the first time or else the sour taste will turn you off of the entire process.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques