Any mention of RAIN in contract at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 27th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Any mention of RAIN in contract

Anyone have a specific clause mentioning weather in their contract? What do you do if they want to go ahead with a wedding ceremony in light rain? How to protect wireless mics etc
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
Major Player

I used to have one that allowed us to make judgment calls as to whether circumstances beyond our control prevented filming. I worded it to include circumstances that could potentially be hazardous to our equipment or persons, including but not limited to unsafe location, weather conditions, acts of god, or persons behaving in a manner that increased the chance of harm to equipment or personnel...etc, etc...but now that I went looking for it, i realized that it got removed when we updated our contract last year... Guess I will have to look back and add it back in. Whatever, you use to get your idea across you will want to have an attorney look it over to make sure it complies with the laws in your area...
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I just have sports packs for my cameras... I can shoot in 100% humidity to about 17 feet if needed <wink>! Or in a dust storm... Not so sure about my iRivers and mics...

You should have some provisions in your contract for those things you cannot control, just to be careful - no different from having cancellation clauses, delivery clauses, sections specifying dates and times, etc.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

over the last 2 weekends 2 of my outdoor ceremonies were in some bit of rain (not to mention the one I did with 30-40 mph winds cutting across but that's another story).
To cover my cameras I use garbage bags. Yep, small white bags, I cut 2 edges off and simply use some gaff tape to hold them in place. I leave the lens uncovered of course (don't laugh, I know someone who actually covered the lens then couldn't figure why the footage sucked) and I cover the receiver. As for mics I had a mic on a stand in front of the DJs speaker (suppling music and a mic to the officiant) and simply used the foam wind screen and a homemade deadrat. Did the job. The transmitter is in it's own case made for it. As long as the gear is well covered and I've got an umbrella ;-) or better yet my rainsuit, I'm good to go.
BTW the body paks for the lavs are covered by the grooms coat so I feel comfortable with that. Fortunately it was a light rain in both cases and really doesn't happen but every once in a while.
Old July 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Don,

You should come to England. We have had nothing but rain every day since the beginning of July, apart from this saturday!

Cheers.
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks John,

I'd love to come to England but only if you can guarantee zero rain for the time I'm there. ;-)
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:33 PM   #7
Major Player

I live in California. What is this 'rain' thing you speak of. Seriously though, if it's an outdoor event in 'iffy' conditions, I can't imagine that people would stay long in pouring rain. At least, not for a wedding. ENG is a different beast and you need to have a rain-jacket for your camera.
In a pinch, take a golf umbrella, light stand and some sandbags and set them up at your position. Forget the sand bags and expect to keep a hand on the light stand...not a wise move.
Keep a clear garbage bag handy (pack a few in your 'emergency' kit).
If you want to look truly silly, wear one of those umbrella hats (I believe they only come in rainbow colors). You're sure to make an impression.
Running away from an event because of inclement weather is sometimes necessary...but you better have something in writing allowing you to do so.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Inner Circle

yep, pouring rain during a wedding not a chance I'd stay out there. I agree, ENG different animal.
The rain I encountered was more of a 'heavy drizzle'-annoying but not really uncomfortable and yes I've seen the umbrella hats. I told my wife if she ever saw me wearing one she has my permission to kill me. ;-)
Old May 23rd, 2010, 04:20 PM   #9
Inner Circle

After 7 years of business, I just ran into my first rain. We covered with garbage bags and plugged through. I think I lost my zoom controller though, it just quit working.

I was stuck, everyone was willing to do the wedding in the rain, it was hard for me to be the only nay sayer. This wasn't a light rain, it was right steady. I guess I need to look at my contract, but I haven't the slightest of how to word "If it's raining, I don't film."
Old May 23rd, 2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Trustee

The practicality of the answers and lack of censure is a credit to the courtesy of this forum. Doug, weddings are events and that means investing in rain covers, protection against sand storm or sub-zero temperatures, depending solely on where you're working. Caveats in Terms of Business don't cut it.

I admire Don's garbage bag solution - that takes hudspah. As a someone who's spent mucho dinero on Porta Brace products, it makes me feel a bit of a wuss.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 06:22 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Well, I have a portabrace cover for my Z1u, but I mount so much crap on top of my cameras, the garbage bags work better.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Inner Circle

yep, portabrace covers for my fullsized cams but honestly, I spent so much on them I got tired of spending so for the small cams it's the white bags. they work great, they cover everything I keep on the camera and they're cheap. If I lose it, who cares. I use it then throw it away (the tape kind of makes it unuseable) and like I've said before, I don't care what it looks like as long as it works.
Kinda like me. ;-)
Old May 24th, 2010, 12:19 AM   #13
Major Player

For years now we are using something like that for our camcorders.

RC-15 (CRC-15) Compact Rain Cover - For Sony HDR-FX1 Or HVR-Z1 Camcorders - Reviews & Prices @ Yahoo! Shopping

as for the contracts, we specifically point out that if there are certain weather elements that are beyond any measure we might take, then we have the right to adapt our work to the new circumstances. That's all for safety though. We have shot in the rain many times.
Old May 24th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #14
Trustee

A dead easy, cheap, and highly effective cover is a regular plastic bag of appropriate size for the camera. You pay a couple of dollars for a box of 10 or so. You want 'quiet/soft' plastic not the crinkly oven bag sort.

Carefully cut a hole in one side, about a third up from the bottom (or appropriate for your camera - the bags are cheap so you can experiment!!), and slightly smaller that the lens/filter diameter - I think I cut the hole about 5mm smaller all around. (I have a rubber lens hood which I take off first and put back on when the bag is in place). Put the bag over the camera with the opening facing down. Pull the hole in the bag over the outside of the lens/filter - if you have cut it right it will stretch and be tight and water proof - .

I had several cameras out in torrential rain for over an hour in bags like this and not a drop of water got on them. The LCD can be open and you can see what you are filming through the plastic bag. Fantastic.
Renton Maclachlan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques