When some wedding guests can be rude. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old July 31st, 2009, 12:27 PM   #16
Major Player

I just love it when that happens as well. My other favourite is when people see the camera is on them and then pose like I'm taking a still photo.

Of course, I also get my share of people in the way who are not "creative obstructions" (love the term, by the way), but rather guests who decide that it's alright to park themselves right smack dab in front of the camera during something like the first dance. I never in my life would be so unaware, or unrespectful, of my surroundings that I would stand right in front of the lens of a vendor who was paid to be there.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:02 PM   #17
Inner Circle

yeah I love people ducking under ;-) Problem is most times during the reception I'm using a WA lens attachment and they'd have to almost crawl on the floor to get out of the shot. Just walk thru. It takes less time and I can cut around it.
I agree, generally speaking, the more they spend on the wedding, the more people are not rude. I just did one for a well known sports figures son at a very posh CC (they refer me a lot) and I've got to say, while the wedding itself was pretty much "standard" the people were some of the nicest and most understanding I have ever worked with.
I also agree it's better to walk away from a confrontation but every once in a while, well, you just can't but 99.999% of the time you can and I too will roll tape if confronted.
i also will not get the B&G involved unless there is no other way around it. Why ruin their day!?
Ahh you gotta love the wedding biz!
Old July 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe View Post
The guest said; 'if you ever put that camera in my face, I'll STICK IT UP YOUR .... "
I think there's a wedding videographer short film in all of this.
The videographer could reply "Hey mofo, I'm sure you'd prefer the camera in your face than *reaches under jacket and pulls out steel bar* this?"
The next shot snaps back to what actually happens: the videographer, with a strained smile walks away begrudgingly.
Four weddings later and the videographer has a 'Taxi' moment, cuts him/herself a mohawk in the rest room and snaps etc.
Old July 31st, 2009, 03:57 PM   #19
Trustee

Basically this thread is about booze. At least that is the common denominator for the problems mentioned. Smart event planners for events of any kind, social or corporate realize the effect booze is going to have on some people. If a sufficient number of people are given unlimited access to "free" booze, this sort stuff will always happen. The key is to put a throttle on it. If not, the problems are virtually inevitable.

Corporate Christmas parties were a classic disaster zone. Booze and the corporate environment don't mix. Only a fool disregards this. Many companies realize the problem and arrange corporate events so that they are cordial but have very limited booze.

With weddings, one of the worst booze problems occurs when there is an inordinately long period of time between the ceremony and the reception while the photographer is taking pictures. If there is an open bar during this time, some of the guests are going to get drunk. If you are lucky, they will only make babbling fools of themselves. Unfortunately a percentage of these will get mean and want to fight and lip off and generally cause problems.

A wedding that is big enough to have potential booze problems is going to have an event planner, either an independent planner or someone who is an employee of the venue. It's worth asking about how drunk guests will be dealt with to see if this possibility has been addressed.
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #20
Trustee

Too funny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony J. Howe View Post
The last wedding I did, a wedding guest who had just arrived to the wedding approached my assistant videographer who was filming the wedding cake. The guest said; 'if you ever put that camera in my face, I'll STICK IT UP YOUR .... I wont repeat what he said finally.
I did a barmitsvah this year and a lady at the bar grabbed me and said "hey, take our picture!" I said, "no problem, but it's a video camera."

So she gave me the finger...

Just walk away and ignore them. Don't ruin the bride's mood by saying anything to her. If you really feel that someone should be told, let the best man know, or the father of the bride.

But in your shoes, I wouldn't tell anyone.
Old July 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harding View Post
One of our local videographers (a lady competitor!) has her contract on her website and she has under "terms and conditions" the following :
" If I feel that my equipment or myself are under any threat of being damaged, I reserve the right to stop filming immediately and leave the venue "
I have that in my contract as well. something to the effect that if guests get uppity & or violent, then I reserve the right to withdraw to safe locations or quit filming altogether.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #22
Regular Crew

REC light off

I have turned the red REC tally light off my cameras so people will not notice when the camera is rolling. Sometimes during reception and walking between tables I act like I´m still setting/adjusting the camera to get the most natural shoots of people but the camera is already on. The SONY Z1 has the ability to set all the lights to off and also the powerindicator.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 07:21 AM   #23
Trustee

I worry about this - I'm only starting into weddings but already done one Rugby (league not union) club and another coming up - these boys get completely rat arsed. When I booked this one I explained specifically that I would pull the plug if my crew or gear are not safe. wether you call it 'class ' or a socionomic group - it makes a difference.
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM   #24
Trustee

I'm retired and no longer do weddings but in my studio days did a ton of them. The best way I found to avoid all of the above problems was to have the groom or father of the bride "appoint" someone to "run interference" for me.

This worked like a charm and I never had to mess with rude guests.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Wow..
Ive never had a problem like that filming a wedding. Just when I shoot news, such as a prang late at night.

Ive always found wedding guests to be pretty cool, but I do try and make a point of doing the rounds of the tables at the reception BEFORE they get plastered.

Ive found the best time is before the wedding party enter the reception and the guests are at the tables, and before the food comes out.

Oh, I always switch the front tally light off. Leaving the back one on stops the enevitable tap on the elbow..

As Bruce said Having someone run interference, such as the Brides father is a brilliant idea.

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Rude sober guests!

I was hired by a photographer to film a Muslim wedding reception a few weeks ago. There was no drinking, mostly socializing and picture taking. They also had a pair of performers play, and the couple very much wanted to have that filmed.

The setting was a stage and I would guess about 600 guests pulled up chairs to watch it. I was down low on my knees with a monopod getting some really great footage. It wasn't long before I heard some yelling. Apparently, I was still too much in the way for their liking. I tried to move but it seemed to just get a different group angry. But the couple wanted the footage, so I got as low as I could and got the job done. About every 40 seconds they would send waiters to tap on my shoulder and give me their messages. Tap..tap..tap...so and so said...'. You get the idea. Toward the end it sounded like a riot was about to break out. I tricked myself into thinking the shouting was because the music was so good. But I got what I needed, a few good performances (about 20 min. out of a 2 hour set). But that experience was rattling to say the least. And that is saying something since I worked retail while going through high school and college.

Anyway, I always try not to be too obtrusive, but still get the footage that will blow my clients away. You have to be polite, professional, and do what you can. But at the end of the day your product has your name on it.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 04:04 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Will, that's ridiculous. I was filming a first dance once and actually had something throwing stuff at me from behind - twice. I so wanted to stop filming and go put a fist in their face. At the end of the day, acting like a professional is always the best route, though.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:59 PM   #28
Inner Circle

SO guys, once again, I'm looking to manufacture my patented/trademarked combo blowgun/monopod... just need to get a few orders to start the production line <wink>!

"no more blocked shots"
"stops annoying guests with a single breath"
"stable camera moves AND personal space"
"smooth panning, and a clear shot every time"

I'm also working on the "Tasepod" shoulder mount/stun gun for the 2010 model year... get your orders in now!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 12:55 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
SO guys, once again, I'm looking to manufacture my patented/trademarked combo blowgun/monopod... just need to get a few orders to start the production line
I may be interested in preordering a few of these, but I have a few concerns I'd like addressed: Does your product employ a safety mechanism preventing accidental inhalation of the dart, and does it use standard size darts or can I order it to accommodate a smaller dart? Also, how breath efficient is your product? About how much pressure is required to propel the dart?

Like I said, barring these few concerns I'm ready to preorder a few of these assuming production gets underway soon, if not I may have to go with a few tridents.
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 03:48 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I'll take one!

I just have to deal with abusive ego maniac 20 year old know-all cops at crash scenes, and crusty old farmers who think they are firefighters... crusty old firefighters who like to take a swing at cameras..

I was filming Kick boxing the other night, and was working on the ringside, literally holding onto the top rope (as I was permitted to do so) and working next to one of their production camera operators, so not to block his shots. Next thing, I feel a tugging at the leg.

I ignored it until the end of the round, and it was the MC asking me to move. I just said, "sorry mate. I dont stop tape for anyone". I moved location before the start of the next round and got better vision that actually made it to air. The universe at work perhaps?

Ben
Ben Longden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques