Lighting for weddings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Closed Thread

Old August 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lighting for weddings

Hello all,

I stumbled across this site and have found it to be very informative and inspirational. The wedding highlights that many of you have created are both awe inspiring and spectacular.

Now, on to my question :) I have searched this forum and the "Photon" forum for help...however, most of the threads have been geared toward on camera lighting (seems like the Comer 1800 is popular among the crowd here).

My question is regarding off camera lighting. I currently do not have a lighting setup and am starting fresh. I would like to know what you recommend for lighting. I will be using a Sony HVR-Z1U.

As of right now, I will be using the Comer 1800 on camera but would like to know which light (when used on a stand) would do a better job of getting better video quality.

* The weddings and receptions I will be recording (Punjabi) do not place limits on the lighting.

* From what I've read on the forums, it seems as though LED seems to be on most peoples wish lists but are cost prohibitive. I would like to go the LED route though (< or = $2k) - which ones do you recommend?

* If not LED, what lighting type and specific recommendation?
* On a different forum, someone recommended this Chimera | Video Pro Plus 1 Triolet Lightbank Kit - Small | 8000

-or-

* Dedolight | SM241E Tungsten 1 Spotlight Kit (230V) | SM24-1E

Thanks.
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Welcome to the best video forum going.

I would suggest 2 things to make your life here easier.
First don't double post. Pick the sub-forum that fits your question best. In this case it's probably the lighting forum.
second, you might want to try the 'search' function especially for this particular question as IIRC it has been discussed before and has about as many answers as people responding since everyone has their own opinions which of course is exactly why this forum works so well.

Anyway, again welcome and enjoy the reading. You might consider a large pot of coffee to go along with the reading ;-)
Old August 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Please direct any replies to http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/photon-ma...s-parties.html -- it's the same thread as this one, but posted to Photon Management (please don't cross-post on DV Info Net). Thanks,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques