How much do you charge for a Blu-ray copy? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 8th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Strange View Post
Hi guys,

Just wondering how much you charge for a blu-ray copy?

I started offering Blu-rays this year, had 25 weddings so far, and 3 ordered Blu-rays.

I charge £30 (30 UKP) for a Blu, I'm wondering if this is too muhc, or if the majority of people just aren't interested in Blus

Of those 25 weddings however, 2 did ask for a HD 'digital copy'. 1 asaked for an mp4 (for his media centre pc, and the other asked for a copy in the .wmv (HDwmv) format for playback on his xBox 360.

I deliverd both of these on a usb stick, and charged £30 per.

Whats your thoughts? How much do you guys charge for a Blu or a HD digital file copy?
I was bored and marketed some of my old clients to see if there was interest in a Blu-Ray disc of their weddings. It was a resounding no interest. Apparently people either adopt HD fairly early or they have no interest at all as far as I can tell. One couple even emailed back they had never figured out how to hook up their DVD player (they had a HDTV) and had only watched (the NTSC widescreen DVD) on the computer.

For the Blu-Rays I have authored, I figure my hard costs at $10USD for 2 discs, and packaging + 2.5 hours labor. In Vegas Pro you have to set the project properties and all the individual title & photo properties to 1920X1080 before the render. I also rescale and reinsert any images from 720X480 to 1920X1080.
Old April 9th, 2010, 08:05 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Wow! Came across this post as have been wondering what everyone is charging. I charge an additional £200 ($300) for offering Blu-Ray as part of the package. I think that's a very fair price too considering the equipment that I've had to purchase to keep up to date (HD cameras/hard drives etc), and the rendering times that have gone up as a result.

I now shoot and edit in HD and downscale to SD, but you have to create separate menu's for SD and Blu Ray, so for the extra time factor, it's worth so much more than a flat rate of £30. I charge £30 a BluRay copy though.
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

I have all my clients' emails I plan on doing a mass email in 6-10 months after blu-ray EXTERNAL BURNERS go down a bit more, and then I will charge just $50 each. For new clients I will do a surcharge of $300 over SD.
Jeff Dinges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Paluch View Post
Give it free with all my wedding packages. 10 dollars does not compare to another wedding at $3000 from a referral.
I second that,
all my packages include 3 DVDs and one BD
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM   #20
Major Player

A Blu-ray HD DVD is part of my standard package. Every couple gets one. Couples don't ask for it, I tell them they are going to get one. Great sales technique and puts me ahead of the rest.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Campbell View Post
Wow! Came across this post as have been wondering what everyone is charging. I charge an additional £200 ($300) for offering Blu-Ray as part of the package. I think that's a very fair price too considering the equipment that I've had to purchase to keep up to date (HD cameras/hard drives etc), and the rendering times that have gone up as a result.

I now shoot and edit in HD and downscale to SD, but you have to create separate menu's for SD and Blu Ray, so for the extra time factor, it's worth so much more than a flat rate of £30. I charge £30 a BluRay copy though.
From what you've described, you're not charging an "additional" £200 for HD, but rather are giving a £200 discount for SD.

For me, everybody pays for HD. If they want it delivered on DVD or Blu-Ray or YouTube (or any other format) that's their business, but they're not getting a discount. I charge based on the cost of production, not on the final piece of plastic they receive.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:58 PM   #22
Inner Circle

My advice on this issue is don't offer or include HD/Blu-Ray unless you're charging more for it. If you're just including it in your packages and you haven't increased your pricing then you're just giving away time and technology. That's bad business for you and bad business for the rest of us.
Old April 11th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
My advice on this issue is don't offer or include HD/Blu-Ray unless you're charging more for it. If you're just including it in your packages and you haven't increased your pricing then you're just giving away time and technology. That's bad business for you and bad business for the rest of us.
Quote:
10 dollars does not compare to another wedding at $3000 from a referral.
I guess, if you charge 3000+, then it is affordable both time and resource wise. I personally can't afford to include it unless I charge extra. Customers seem to be happy with it, except nobody has ever asked for it. Not many people seem to have a player and some were not even sure what it was.
Hameed Aabid is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques