If you could do it all over again... what would you get? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Hi Roger, and thanks for the great note! I wish the best for you and your wife - you guys will do a great job. I also have an announcement - I will be at WEVA!! I don't know for how long or for what days yet, but I will be going. Looks like a road trip from Nashville is on the books! :)

I can't wait to soak up all the info and meet everyone. Unfortunately my wife won't be with me, but hopefully she will get to come with me next year.

:)
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #17
Major Player

Hi Bill,

That's great news. Will you drive straight through?

If at all possible, I would leave early Monday morning in order to arrive for the Monday night "Awards Gala". Free food and a chance to see the award winning videos. If at all possible, stay through the last session on Thursday, which ends around 4:00.

If you cannot stay the entire time and can only attend 2 days of sessions, I would go with Tuesday and Wednesday, especially since you are wanting to check out gear at the trade show.

Look me up at the show. I look forward to meeting you.
Old August 24th, 2009, 05:47 AM   #18
Major Player

Forgive me if I'm going a bit off topic, but if I were to do it again, I would rent. That way I could take the cash and put it into marketing and advertising. That way you can always have access to the latest equipment and wouldn't have to worry about maintenance.

With each job I would put a significant portion of it aside and purchase as I was able to.

Like was mentioned above, stuff like tripods and mics outlast cameras so I would go in this order:

- memory cards (assuming you're not going to wind up with a tape based camera)
- tripods (a good one, as we all know the $50 Best Buy specials won't do)
- wireless mic kit (Senn G2)
- lighting (Lowel Tota or 2, they're cheap and effective)
- portable audio recorder
- other stabilizer (steadycam, slider, whatever)
- camera batteries
- camera

And I would not purchase any inferior gear for the sake of saving money, because it will cost you in the long run. For example, I went with the cheapest wireless mic I could go with when I was slightly less broke and starting out, and bought a Sennheiser G2 kit after only one use. I was out the $600 in addition to the $200 I spent on the crappy stuff that just sat around until I could get rid of it on eBay.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #19
Major Player

Great advice, Matthew. I do like having my own cameras, but also rent when it is right for me to do it. In my early days I was an audio engineer and know the value of a good wireless setup - and your experience bears out what a great many others go through.

I've got a shoot coming up on Labor Day weekend that I'm going to rent the main cam for, rather than buy. I'm going to the WEVA expo after that and there will be a lot of good stuff at the tradeshow and it makes sense to wait to buy another cam. Like I said, I do like having my own cams, but rentals are perfect for some situations.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques