Weddings are not a Toy like your camera. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 4th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #16
Inner Circle

"While yet there is that in-between level, you know the "I'm not a beginer or hobbyist" and "I'm not quite a pro" that always seem to know everything, or at least let you know what's best for you. I bet you know a few of them. So many times I see people get disuaded into giving up due to lack of information, opportunity, financing, etc. "

Even with a brainload full of info, over a decade of tech expereince, audio engineering, photography etc etc.. i have thought about giving up..
Yes.. even with that kind of experience and skills, you can still be deflated to a point where u no longer which to go on..
One thing people need to acknowledge is that we have to start somewhere..
Im new to weddings.. but im not new to the industry.. thats what people underestimate ...
Dont let ANYONE bring down your dreams of doing what u want to do.. I am harsh here on the wedding forums coz i see alot of potential go to waste.. I also see alot of potential mistakes being made.. usually from first hand experience.. and id like to think that by giving advise on an alternative, may end up saving alot of heartache to some people in the long term.. ))

All's I'm saying is however you approach this industry is what it will be for you.

((yes but u must also remember that if u wish to persue this full time, the investment of time, skills (edit, camera, audio, authoring, graphic design, accounting, management, customer service) and money must be made somewhere along the line, as u must evolve with the technology.. if you dont you will be stepped on in the stampede.. ))

Don't feel pressured to go out and but that extra camera because someone recomends it, or buy a steady cam because it's the best way to do "shot x", do what is realistic for you. I went all out when I started, and there are a few things I regretted buying, but alas, several thousand dollars later, it's come back and I'm that much the wiser. Just ask alot of questions and frequent places that have a wealth of info like here!

((exactly my thoughts.. :) i just have a strange approach as i dont look kindly upon those who take legitimate sales away from those who rely on this clientelle (wedding) to make a living.. as it undermines the point of our existance..
ie, if a hobbyist offers a rate at half of a pro, and has teh gift of teh gab, that pro will most likely end up losing the sale.. the hobbyist gets the job. usually ends up fugdging it somehow, and then the couple arent happy.. THEN the fallout from that, is that the couple believed that video was a waste of money and onlyhave bad things to say about it.. so where does that leave teh Pro??
Jobless coz he lost the sale to begin with. as well as jobless coz the word of mouth has ruined the reputation of the industry the Pro is in..
Which is why i say, if ur gonna do this, u may as well do it properly.. theres no point in going halfway else you'lll ruin it for those who do this for a living..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2004, 12:03 PM   #17
Major Player

The reason to shoot a wedding video is not ourselves, and we will not be the one dissapointed or perhaps angry if the video turns out bad. The reason to shoot a wedding video is to record the wedding. This can be done by one camera for free and it will probably turn out looking as such and be appreciated by the recipients. To shoot a wedding and make it worthy of 500, 1000, 1500 or 2500 dollars takes more than one camera. I have shot only one, my nephews, I shot both the video and some stills and warned in advance that it would not be a multi camera pro production. If I did it for money I would have at least 2 camera's roving and 2 mounted. You must also consider the audio, wireless mics, contracts and editing, (editing a wedding is not as easy as it sounds). Sure, anyone could turn on their camera and shoot a wedding for free, if you screw it up you apologize and go on, but screw up a contract wedding and some judges say the damage is more than the agreed upon cost regaurdless of contracts. I would say the one prudent thing to do if you shoot a wedding is to accurately describe the level of product you are going to produce. I agree with Peter, it's work, and takes a lot more work than most people think. To get all the expected shots, have all the expected audio and edit it all together as expected can only be done by experience. I sat down and talked to a still pro about what shots needed to be captured, went to the hall and cased the place, talked with the preacher and DJ and showed up at the rehearsal and dinner. Even after making a battle plan I still knew nothing. I was beat when I got home, but the first thing I did when I walked in the door was to grab pen and paper and write down what I had learned. I will give everyone the two biggest lessons

1. You must have (at least) a second camera somewhere as you will need transition video for when the roving camera moves. I had to use long fades and childhood pictures to fill my movements when I transitioned from down the isle to the alter. Editing your own video will teach you as a videographer. Still pictures can be used as good transitions also.

2. Accurately describe the level of product you are going to produce.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2004, 12:36 PM   #18
Wrangler

Re: Weddings are not a Toy like your camera.

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Monciardini :
We are all Uncle Bob at the beginning. Do you remember your first wedding? Go look at it. Holly gosh, wasn't that terrible. I bet you thought you knew everything didn't you. Boy that shot did NOT come out like you thought did it? I bet you had no clue it was going to take you 2 months to edit did you? It takes longer to edit when you are trying to cover up the bumps and mastakes doesn't it?
-->>>

Mine first wedding shoot was awsome. The footage came out better than I expected, and I had it cut in 4 days.
Why?
Because of all the great people here at DVinfo that helped me prepare for it properly, and make it a success! Without these guys, it might have been a fiasco.
In fact, here is my original thread!
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...5&pagenumber=1
Old September 25th, 2004, 07:20 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
I guess I am a youngster. Im 16. I shot my first wedding already. I got there and thought I was going to be a pro at this. It turned out that I didnt get the shots that I had invisioned. Luckily my dad is a photographer and he lent me his photos and I got the pictures, scanned them in, touched them up, and created a movie/slideshow. Its really nice. It also was my first time using Adobe After Effects 6 to create an intro with wedding bells and all. I charged a measly $100. I will be putting it on DVD. I guess next time Ill be better prepared and maybe charge a little more. I have 2 cameras, but one is analog and the other is digital. So I really use one. but anyways....yeah..
Thanks for the advice guys.
David Bermejo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques