My First Highlight Vignette at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 16th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #1
Wrangler

My First Highlight Vignette

Here's the first wedding highlight vignette I've ever posted. Shot w/ PD-170, VX2100 (and a few shots with XL-1s and TRV33..lol)
Cut in Vegas 5.

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...t_Vignette.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:04 AM   #2
Tourist

WOW!!!

That was awesome. Really very touching. Some beautiful shots and nice editing. Man, I have to work on mine this winter. How do you like Vegas?
video@jamsessiondj.com
Joe Gencarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 01:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Wow indeed. Very nice work!
Were you the only cameraman during that day and how many camera was being used?
Did you only use Vegas software to come up with the video?
(learning process :D )
Kevin Kwak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:48 AM   #4
Wrangler

Joe, love Vegas- been using it for a little over a year now. I'm a Premiere convert.

Kevin, I shot it along side of an assistant. So the entire day we had two cameras rolling, however during the bridal prep (which I've included a few shots in the peice) I shot solo. However during the ceremony I shot with my PD-170, my assistant with his XL-1s, a VX2100 up in the balcony, and a little cheap single-CCD TRV-33 on the floor in the isle, just for kicks. So a total of 4-cameras at the ceremony.

The shots in this peice were 99% PD-170, and one or two XL-1s and TRV-33.

Thanks.
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow man, way to go, I thought that looked great.
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I second the WOW

You might just give Randy Stubbs a run for his money on WEVA CE awards if you keep that up. One question. How do you do such a clean white flash effect? I have tried to build that effect but it always eludes me!

NICE JOB.

Kev
Kevin Foristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:24 AM   #7
Wrangler

Re: I second the WOW

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Foristal : You might just give Randy Stubbs a run for his money on WEVA CE awards if you keep that up. One question. How do you do such a clean white flash effect? I have tried to build that effect but it always eludes me!

NICE JOB.

Kev -->>>

You know it's funny you mention that- I've been talking to Randy via email corespondence for the last few weeks now. Very nice guy. He's even been so nice as to critique my work. Needless to say compliments from "him" are VERY encoraging. I was thinking about picking up his training series on DVD. Ever seen it? Anything to be learned from it?

Anyway about the flash effect, there are actually two styles I use. A quick dissolve from a generated media (solid white) and a transition in my NLE (Vegas 5) called "Flash"...using the "soft white" preset.

Thanks for the words.
Old September 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #8
Wrangler

Glen,

I am in awe of your work. That was beautiful stuff. I really picked up on your use of a slow fade to black then quick fade up on some of the transitions. Really liked that effect.

Thanks for sharing. It's inspiring to me.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I am thinking about picking up randy's dvd's. My business should be ready to go live in about 2 months. I have a site at www.foristalmedia.com and a clip in the gallery section. Let me know what ya think.

Kev
Kevin Foristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2004, 01:13 PM   #10
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Foristal : I am thinking about picking up randy's dvd's. My business should be ready to go live in about 2 months. I have a site at www.foristalmedia.com and a clip in the gallery section. Let me know what ya think.

Kev -->>>

Just shot you an email Kevin.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:44 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Glen,

What an awesome job you had done... your video will definitly redefine the way people see and do wedding video.

I have a few questions that hope you could kindly answer them:

1) There are a few clips that have rotating effect... did you do that in post? I found that if I have to do it in post, I will need to scale up the image and that result in resolution lost.

2) Did you do a lot of color correction? To me, the color looks really film like.

3) How do you compare the slow motion between vegas and premiere? I found that I can never do such smooth slow motion in premiere like you did in your video.

4) There are a few clips that the whole picture is black and white with some color objects. How did you do it? Did you replace the color of the clip or mask out the objects in post?

Hope you could share some of your experience with us...

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Eric Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 12:57 AM   #12
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Chan : Glen,

What an awesome job you had done... your video will definitly redefine the way people see and do wedding video.
Why thank you...

I have a few questions that hope you could kindly answer them:

1) There are a few clips that have rotating effect... did you do that in post? I found that if I have to do it in post, I will need to scale up the image and that result in resolution lost.
Depends on the shot- some of them are hand-held rolls (dutches) and the more static shots I added a subtle motion using Vegas's Pan/Crop tool. A tool that, even alone, is much more powerful than Canopus Imaginate.

2) Did you do a lot of color correction? To me, the color looks really film like.
Not too much- the PD-170 creates a really desirable image. The film "look" might be because of the crop and the soft vignette I added in post.

3) How do you compare the slow motion between vegas and premiere? I found that I can never do such smooth slow motion in premiere like you did in your video.
Most definitly, hands down, Vegas. Vegas has the best interpolating engine for slow motion. I've even heard people say it beats Final Cut Pro's when going below 25% speed.

4) There are a few clips that the whole picture is black and white with some color objects. How did you do it? Did you replace the color of the clip or mask out the objects in post?
Vegas's "Secondary Color Corrector"...simply drag and create a selection then reverse the selection and drop the saturation.

Hope you could share some of your experience with us...
No prob...any time. Any other questions feel free to ask. Take care.

Thanks in advance,
Eric -->>>
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:30 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Glen, i really liek your style and demeaner.
Your work is absolutely incredible and i wish you all the best for your future projects.

There are many disbelievers of Vegas, however Im one of the few here in Oz that is tryin to push for it to be the definitive software solution for editing (which it is)

good luck with everything mate
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 09:59 AM   #14
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Jefferson : Glen, i really liek your style and demeaner.
Your work is absolutely incredible and i wish you all the best for your future projects.

There are many disbelievers of Vegas, however Im one of the few here in Oz that is tryin to push for it to be the definitive software solution for editing (which it is)

good luck with everything mate -->>>

Thank you Peter. I'm going to do my best to sing the praises of this fine program to the GPVA. Maybe I'll even "convert" a few once I show them the light. lol
Old September 23rd, 2004, 12:35 PM   #15
Major Player

Looks really nice.

I'm not involved in the wedding market, so I'm just curious, is this song, vinette treatment and overall progression a common demo practice?

I'm certain that, about a year ago, I viewed a demo that looked very similar (had a little more variety and creativity in the shots, but the effects treamtent was about the same) and it also used exactly the same music.

I think it was demo by a guy named Christopher McGuiness ??

I can't seem to find a website to confirm.
Maybe I have the name wrong.
I still have the video on my computer at home somewhere, so I'll try to dig it up for comparisson.

Anyway, I'm just curious about how "standard" something like this is.

Again, really really nice work in there.
Nick Jushchyshyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques