Recommended song for stylish wedding video clip - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old November 12th, 2004, 01:43 AM   #16
Regular Crew

You do have the copyright of the picture but you may not use it freely but no one else can use it since you hold the copyright.

As for filming in public there are different laws that apply in different countries. Basically I guess that if you can't identify the individual in a shot you are ok.

Fortunately it is not possible to gain any big financial upside by going to court in my country and I guess that if you go to a concert or a wedding you do stand a fair chance to get photographed. Having said that, privacy (particularly from authorities watching eye) are very high though of here.

If someone follows you around with a camcorder that is another story...

Normally, as you say, if you apply logic there is no problem.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:30 AM   #17
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Bjorn C Hagert : You do have the copyright of the picture but you may not use it freely but no one else can use it since you hold the copyright. -->>>

I was indeed wrong about that thank you. as far as the music goes I guess the most confusion for myself comes from these lines

(However, the recording artist(s) can only use the muisc written by the composer under a copyright license ! The performing artists create the additional copyright of their performance in the recording production - on top of the composer/lyricist creation copyright. That is why those "recording rights" are called in legal terminology "Neighbouring Rights".)

but what you are saying is there is a different copyright law in effect for this type of situation?
Ralph Longo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 09:43 AM   #18
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Ralph Longo : If you photograph an individual and do not get written permission from them you cannot get a copyright for the photograph though, -->>>

Actually wrong. You probably do own the copyright to the photo. You can't use the photo publicly though.

Years back I was working on a video preservation project for PBS. We were transfering "Dance in America" from 2" video tape to D2 (digital) tapes. I asked if they were planing to re air these artistic masterpieces. They said no. They only had rights from the dancers to air it once, live. They did not have the resources to find all the dancers 20 years later to obtain new rights. They still owned the rights to the video performances and were spending money to preserve them. I certainly viewed them, along with people at PBS and the post production facility, in order to do the preservation work.

In short, PBS OWNED the copyright on the video performance even if they did not have the right to rebroadcast.

Copyrights are fairly complex Ralph, Your blanket "simple" conclusions may create problems for you. I'm not a lawyer but you have a good chance you'll run into a few in an "unfriendly" manor which may far exceed the costs of consulting one FIRST.

Owning copyrights, manor of use, sheet music, publishing, sound/video recording, synchronization rights are things that need to be dealt with. If the sheet music is in the public domain, it doesn't mean the other rights disapear.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques