Another Getting Ready Montage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old October 18th, 2004, 10:14 PM   #1
Wrangler

Another Getting Ready Montage

A little backstory on this clip. It's actually a re-edit. This wedding was shot 2 years ago and was edited by my assistant. I watched the finished product and wasn't quite happy with the results. I talked to the groom which happens to be a personal friend of mine (an incredible musician too *2 Caregie Hall Appearances*- he's the one who wrote and composed the original score for my documentary a few years back). Anyway I agreed to re-edit the entire video. We lost touch for long periods of time- and we finally touched base and I began re-editing the wedding this weekend.

At the time these shots were taken I was shooting with a GL-1 and a DVX100. This also was one of the only weddings I did any glidecam work (albiet very subtle). My camera work has improved a great deal since then...well maybe I should say my composition. The only real movement in the outdoor shots is very rigid and lateral (shot from a tripod). No rolling dutch angles or crane shots. I've learned to think much more creatively during my shot aquisitions.

Here it is- not as "fancy" as some of my previous stuff but keep in mind I had to work with footage shot a very long time ago....

http://www.dv-help.com/g.elliott/Gilcrest%20Prep.wmv
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Wow Glen, let me be the first to have the pleasure to express what a wonderful job you have done.

It is very very inspirational and brings a lot of emotions. I particularly enjoyed the openning sequence with the very beautiful and lush green landscape and the amazing house.

Very well done and I really can't wait to see your next masterpiece with your 'improvement' with the camera since that video.

One little critique if I may, I didn't quite like the part where the groom appears to be talking, perhaps pick another shot. That's just a personal preference. ... Sorry, it was the littlest thing I could find to critique on.

Very very good camera work and very professional. It feels a lot like a cinematic experience than a wedding video.
George Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 02:42 AM   #3
Major Player

I'm very, very impressed, Glen.

To me this looks all pretty much like it was done on a big budget film set (and I've seen the other stuff you posted recently)! Great work, man. Let's see more of it.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:25 AM   #4
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by George Sam : Wow Glen, let me be the first to have the pleasure to express what a wonderful job you have done.
Thank you.

It is very very inspirational and brings a lot of emotions. I particularly enjoyed the openning sequence with the very beautiful and lush green landscape and the amazing house.
Yeah- I felt what this clip lacked in flash made up for in personal, emotional shots. Looking at the footage and setting- I wanted a different pace for this footage.

Very well done and I really can't wait to see your next masterpiece with your 'improvement' with the camera since that video.

One little critique if I may, I didn't quite like the part where the groom appears to be talking, perhaps pick another shot. That's just a personal preference. ... Sorry, it was the littlest thing I could find to critique on.
Good point. I, myself, do not like footage of people talking without audio. In fact I might even try to bring some natural audio back into this piece to give it more depth.

Very very good camera work and very professional. It feels a lot like a cinematic experience than a wedding video. -->>>
Thanks for the kind words once again.
Old October 21st, 2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Rainer Hoffmann : I'm very, very impressed, Glen.

To me this looks all pretty much like it was done on a big budget film set (and I've seen the other stuff you posted recently)! Great work, man. Let's see more of it. -->>>

Wow, thank you. Yes I'll be posting it as I finish it- at least pieces I want to show. I'm tentatively working on my 2005 demo, compiling footage from about 8 weddings. I don't want to show that till next year sometime.

Again thanks for the compliments.
Old October 21st, 2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Major Player

You are welcome, Glen.

To me it's almost unbelievable, how important a day the wedding seems to be for most couples in the US. Somewhere on this forum I read about rehaersals and such. Only very few, if any, people would do that over here. Consequently, the profession of the "wedding videographer" is almost unheard of. For most couples Uncle Bob's video (Onkel Heinrichs video over here, of course) will do and they won't spend any money on a professional video.

Despite your brilliant work, Glen, I think you would starve to death in Germany. But at least it would be a quick death.

Rainer
Rainer Hoffmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Aww man!

Looks like you killed your bandwidth! I so want to see it though! Please let me know when it is back. I promise I will DL instead of stream.

Kev
Kevin Foristal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Bummer...

"Bandwidth exceeded"

I'd like to see it too Glen. I enjoy your work!

Dave
Dave Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:14 AM   #9
Wrangler

I was hoping for it to be back up today. Check back later. Thanks.
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:29 PM   #10
Regular Crew

"Bandwidth exceeded" still....bummer!
Bobby Abernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2004, 05:34 PM   #11
Wrangler

Hmmm- it's not my webspace it was donated graciously by another DVinfo member. I'll have to contact him and see if there's a problem. Thanks for the heads up.
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Seems like the donor set you up with a bandwidth limit which usually resets at the beginning of the month.

Try zipping your file and uploading it so that you force users to actually download the clip on their own machine and watch it from there as many times as they want.

This way, in the future, they don't have to go back and stream everytime they want to watch it. Just one way to keep members from going back and streaming it because it takes up the bandwidth. It's just a lazy habit for people sometimes to actually save the clip to their local drive and watch it from there.

And.. I'm sure you know this, decrease the quality of the WMV version or use different encoding to minimize file size but still retain quality (Divx 4 and the likes) and then have a high quality version for users who requests that.
George Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 03:31 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Hmm I downloaded it.

Very nice but a bit one-dimensional in that all the shots were slowed down and there was no natural sound.

Jon
Jonathan Nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:03 PM   #14
Wrangler

There's a videographer for whose work I'm very fond of who I occasionally coorespond with. He gave me similar feedback from this clip. He thought it was well done, and enjoyed it but said natural audio strewn in would add more "depth". This is something I want to try and implement.

The audio from this wedding, beings it was several years ago before I had any audio equipment...I didn't get a good capture of the vows etc. I feel the audio has to be superp to be mixed with cd quality scores. I've heard people incorporate audio in their pieces that was sub par and it actually detracts from the overall ambiance.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 05:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

It's an interesting thing is audio as to edit audio and pictures is more difficult to do. The main parts of my weddings have the natural audio at about 50% when there is music most of the time unless it is very loud or offensive - and I fade the music up and down as appropriate to hear good bits of banter. I've not yet used anything as instrumentally powerful as the two demos I have seen of your work, so maybe I would edit differently in that case.

I loved the opening location shots though. Just the right numebr!

Jon
Jonathan Nicholas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques