Re-Pricing of Receptions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Re-Pricing of Receptions

We charge the same for all Receptions, based on time. Does anyone charge per event at the Reception?

The problem is some DJs have events going on the entire time, and some are simple and boring. Boring is a LOT less labor, but it seems twisted to secretly want a DJ to be lame. Thoughts?
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Inner Circle

We would never charge per event I don't think. We offer a high-end product and I think the couples that come to us would be really put off by a list of coverage options for the reception. For us, it's all based on the hours of the day and when we start.

I could see this working better for budget brides, but even then .. if you're scheduled to shoot the toasts and the first dance .. and there is an hour in between the two .. then the pricing isn't really going to work in your favor I don't think. Better to be charging for the hours you are there rather than the events you are covering .. since often things can run way behind schedule.

Actually, on that note .. since we've implemented our 10-hour-day policy, couples have been much more respectful of our time and they stay on schedule much better. It's now a priority for them to make sure they maintain the schedule so that we're around to cover things.
Old August 31st, 2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Major Player

It's always the hair, isn't it. Then the Ceremony starts late. Then...

I guess the problem is that a lot of DJs here pack the night with events, which gives us very little time to eat and get interviews. We do multicamera Receptions, so filming the trivia games, four-song money dances, love & luck dance, wandering microphone toasts, free-dancing etc, is right on the borderline of three DVDs and a full terabite of HDD space for one wedding.

We are high-end, and don't want to sit around...I'm wondering if the couples really want *everything* or if they are just trying to get their moneys worth. Perhaps we should have them indicate what events they want through a check-list of sorts.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I guess I'm a bit confused. First in all the receptions I've done over the years I've never priced by the 'event' and honestly I don't know anyone that does or ever has.

In my area a typical reception (after cocktail hour) is; Introductions, Cake cutting (although sometimes that's done after salad course) prayer, toasts and then everyone eats. After dinner it's First dance, F-D dance, M-S dance, bridal party dance (if they do that) then open dance for about an hour or so, Bouquet and Garter (if they do that)
I do my goodbye shot and then it's goodbye. Generally even though my service states 1 hour of open dancing after the DJ or band leader announces the floor is open, I'll stay a few extra minutes to get the flower toss and leg grab and throw but it only a few minutes.

I can't see any reason to price by event at the reception and frankly I can't see anything good by doing that.

This is a typical reception in the Chicago area with a sit down dinner as most are, nothing happens during dinner except people eating (me too) and it usually takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get thru that then the party begins. As for dollar dance and stuff like that it happens here plenty (not my favorite thing) but it's the only thing going on.

Maybe it's different in your area but around here they don't do multiple things at 1 time.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

So I'm confused, Dana. Is the issue that you're getting too much footage, or is it that you don't feel you're being paid enough?

If you're properly charging for your time (as in shoot+edit) then it shouldn't matter if there are a lot of events going on.
Old August 31st, 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Trustee

Yeah, I gotta say I'm a little confused by the opening post too. Maybe we'd better understand if you'd explain what they do out there in Az.

**EDIT**
Oh wait, seems you posted the answer to my question a little while ago, and no, they don't do all that stuff at a reception around here. Ours are more like Don's but usually without the formal meal.

So how long do these receptions run out there?

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:20 PM   #7
Major Player

I guess what I'm saying is that we give a better and more replete product when there are a ton of events than when there are just a few sporadic events. We always recommend the best DJs, but when we do, we have to do twice the work. It just seems odd. We want the very best for the couple. Does that make sense?

Often dinner is the only time that we can film Well-Wishes. After a day of filming, I want to eat, but quite often I don't have time for more than a couple bites. If I wait until later, everyone is drunk and say nothing of substance. I'd do these during Cocktail Hour, but I'm filming the Photo Shoot.

I just wondered if anyone approached this differently. I'm wanting to tweak something, but if hourly pricing is the norm, then I'll get back to editing. ;o)
Old August 31st, 2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Inner Circle

It sounds to me like the receptions in Phoneix are a lot different than here in Chicago and frankly, if you feel that hard pressed then perhaps you might want to look at another cam operator to help out at the reception. Someone who could simply shoot the "interviews" and perhaps some of the other "events" (I prefer activities) while you can get something to eat or are covering another activity.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques