How much shoud I charge to transfer 8mm tape to DVD without any editing? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old January 11th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How much shoud I charge to transfer 8mm tape to DVD without any editing?

Can some one let me know how much I should charge to transfer 8mm tape to DVD with no editing at all.

I wask thinking of $40 per tape (DVD)

Thanks
AP
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2005, 03:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

VHS to DVD with no editing is going for around $15 so I would assume the same amount for the 8mm. By 8mm you mean the new 8mm not the old reel stuff, right ?
Michael Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #3
Inner Circle

What it "is going for" isn't the only consideration. It's really what can you afford as a business.

If an 8mm video tape has 2 hours of video on it, you'd only get $7.50/hr. Is it worth it to take on that kind of work?

Would you be recording to a consumer DVD recorder? You can do that in real time so you should charge your dub rate for a 2 hour dub.

If you're encoding and authoring it, you're getting a much better quality encode which can take hours depending on the speed of your computer.

Of course once you make that first 2 hour DVD, additional dubs might only take 15 minutes or so with a fast burner. In that case you set up an acceptible minimum order size knowing that you may be able to get 4 (four) 2 hour DVDs done per hour after the first is made.

Base your price on what you NEED to make with the Equipment you have. If you're not a dub house, there's no reason you should ever accept $7.50/hr. You can make that much at a fast food joint and you don't even have to spend $300 on a consumer DVD recorder and DVD+-R discs.

Yes, $40 for one DVD copy of each tape to a consumer DVD recorder (not burner) is likely fair depending. You can vary price by tape lenght and total number of tapes if you want to offer a package deal.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #4
Major Player

Im with you on this one Craig. If your not making any money on the job, dont take the job. $40 is a reasonable price for the amount of work, equipment, and expertise that goes into that job. Not everyone in the world has the ability to perform that service. I personally charge by the hour (25 per hour) and by the DVD copy (20 per copy). I dont get a lot of work from this, but Im not trying to either--there are much better ways to make money with our equipment. On the other hand, every client who has asked me to do this for them has been very pleased, and I usually end up doing more work for them.

Besides, if we all start lowering our prices (unreasonable, such as this) to make a fast buck we only burn ourselves.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2005, 01:50 PM   #5
Major Player

I charge $0.20/minute of video converted plus a $10 media/case charge, so it basically works out to about $34 for a 2 hour DVD. Not a whole lot of work for me, just ties up my computer.
I don't advertise this, but have done it for a few people.

I am currently working through about 25 2-hour tapes for a customer right now though :(
Wishing I would have said no to them, but a few here and there aren't bad.
Old January 17th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Jeff,

You said this is tying up your computer? Are you actually encoding these instead of using a consumer recorder?

If that's what you're doing you need to charge BIG TIME. Not sure how fast your computer is but I'd charge somewhere between $200-$300 to do a computer (2 pass VBR) encode for 2 hours of video.

If you use your computer for editing or other work you'll put yourself out of business unless you edit at this low rate too . . . in which you may put yourself out of business anyway.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques