bridal shop promo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 10th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Trustee

bridal shop promo

I"ve got the chance to run a dvd in a bridal shop (wedding dresses, shoes etc, etc).

As well as a couple of highlights, I thought I'd try something like this..

Interview on Vimeo

it needs tidying up but do you think the basic idea will catch their attention?
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Paul,

I think the message of the interview is great - however, remember that anything you present video-wise is going to be judged. The audio on the interview doesn't sound very professional, which could be perceived as a negative when someone is watching. It shouldn't matter, but I think it does. If you are going to tidy it up, see about reshooting the interview with good mics and a better overall background/location for the interview.

I like the idea, tho. Just my thoughts...
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
Trustee

I'm with Bill on all of that. I wondered about the framing of the interview shots as well.
Colin McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Trustee

fair point - I caught them 2 hours before Brad headed bush for a couple of weeks work so it was pretty rushed - I might redo it when he gets back.
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:11 AM   #5
Trustee

Paul, I'm afraid my reaction is less complimentary than those so far. I imagine the replay in the shop is going to be unattended. That means people will only watch until they're served. They went in to see dresses, not watch videos and especially not rambling interviews that need serious editing. Secondly can you be sure the sound will always be played? I'd assume not.

My recommendation would therefore be to produce something that is like a 2 minute TV ad. Plenty of visual variety and stunning pictures to catch the eye, very strong textual graphics that convey your key messages visually. Plenty of your logos, you're not selling the shop. We use one on one of the two screens we show at wedding fairs that does exactly that. I'll try and get round to putting it on vimeo to show you what I mean but this isn't the time of the year to find time.

Get a table stand for some of your brochures/demo packs. People need to have more info without troubling the bridal store if they want more detail.

Finally, I strongly recommend a book on portrait framing and that's what interviews are - It really is bad, sorry.
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #6
Trustee

absolutely nothing to be sorry about Phil - It was a last minute idea and poorly executed - I'd rather hear that here than find out by a lack of bookings.

I'm off to buy a book :-)
Old September 12th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #7
Trustee

Paul, being positive is a credit to you. Actually since you've come back, I'd slightly amend my advice - don't buy a book; get one from the library.

What I mean by that is that the fundamentals of portraiture including lighting haven't changed in the last 50 years. Rule of thirds still works well for positioning/framing, focus on the eyes still works best in my view (though is less important with 1/3inch chips) and key/fill/rim will still mean your subject is well lit.

I don't mean never experiment - try out Karsh's sometimes severe lighting by all means but do so when you have time, not in the circumstances you describe.

Time was when you could watch good TV or even films and see great framing/lighting but I regret these days what is broadcast is often simply rubbish. How rarely do you see a subject speaking out of frame and not given the space to do so, ie positioned to the opposite side of the centre line to what they're looking at? Simple things make the biggest difference. Good luck.

Since writing the above I discovered I had uploaded our promo to vimeo - it's at:

http://vimeo.com/3547507

Whilst it's obviously meant to go with the soundtrack, it works without it as well.

Last edited by Philip Howells; September 12th, 2009 at 09:32 AM. Reason: discovery of site
Philip Howells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #8
Regular Crew

What I noticed first was the bad sound and second lack of great visuals. When framing I always have in mind the rule of third. Nothing was happening above their heads as your framing indicated. If you want to keep the audio or replace it I would suggest to use images from weddings rather than more or less "showing" the interview. The viewer only wants to see who is talking for 5-7 sec. and then use your best footage. If you are going to redo the interview then I suggest to get different framing, closeups and medium shots. Also use text if this gets displayed with no audio. In a wedding store I can imagine that an audio would not be used or at low level.
Asvaldur Kristjansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #9
Trustee

Most bridal shops I've seen don't turn on the audio for their dvds. The employees don't want to hear the same loop repeat 200 times a day, every day, no matter how great the video is. You gotta impact them with visuals.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques