Photosession montage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 3rd, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1
Wrangler

Photosession montage

Photosession montage (used as a seguay to the formal entrances after the recessional)

http://home.comcast.net/~g.elliott3/...tosession2.mpg
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2005, 11:17 PM   #2
New Boot

Simply Stunning, as always. Great Stuff, Glen!

On another note, I've been meaning to ask: what sort of color correction steps/techniques do you use? The skin tones and contrast appear to be boosted up somewhat. Whatever it is you are doing - it looks amazing. (I apologize if this has already been addressed, but I don't recall you sharing this info in the past)
Allen Liu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #3
Wrangler

Thank you.

In post after I’m finished assembling my edit- I’ll go back for one more sweep for visual fx changes. I’ll open my histogram to study the luminance curves in every shot and adjust my levels from there. I usually “crush” my blacks a bit more than necessary and get back a little shadow detail with the glow tool. I try to create a very rich contrasty picture. Looks much better on production monitor or tv. MPG or WMV doesn’t do it justice. Also, the soft darkening vignette appears darker on a computer monitor than on either of these displays.
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #4
Still Motion

What software and machine did you edit this with?
Was it shot with your 170?
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #5
Wrangler

All the shots you saw were actually from my VX2100, and a few of my assistant's DVC-80.

Vegas 5 on a P4
Old February 4th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You are killing me, man.
Thanks God you are not in my area--
No words, except WOW. and again WOW, but a big WOW

Congrats, I love it .

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #7
New Boot

I am new to this level of videography and to this board, boy
this is some great stuff!! Really something to help me "raise
the bar" of the shooting and editing that I am doing.

Glen you do a fantastic job...very inspiring!

I am using FCP and I was wondering how you added the
dark vignette effect?
Dan Frievalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 09:02 AM   #8
Wrangler

Thank you. In Vegas 5 I added a "Generated Media- Gradient- Eliptical, Black to transparent".
Old February 5th, 2005, 11:48 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Glen,

Are you using a stabilizer of some sort (other than OIS)?

I notice you seem to slow everything down. What speeds are you chosing (50%, 25%, Other). I'm sure there's a variety in there but wondering what you're chosing.

Are you softening the shots in any way? It can be hard to tell on compressed web video but some seem to be soft focus (deliberate, happy accident, filter hard or software, or?)?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 04:49 PM   #10
Major Player

That really looked sharp Glen.

Great shots and editing both!

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Craig Seeman : Glen,

Are you using a stabilizer of some sort (other than OIS)?
No. Every shot in this piece was handheld. I have a glidecam 4000 pro that I vowed to use more often this upcoming season, however, I still feel I do a great deal of my shots handheld. It's actually my preference.

I notice you seem to slow everything down. What speeds are you chosing (50%, 25%, Other). I'm sure there's a variety in there but wondering what you're chosing.
I don't have a set motion percentage speed. I go by how the footage works and the tempo of the song. I always change the speed of the clips via the Ctrl+Drag method in Vegas, which is subsequently less scientific in regards to actual percentage #'s. That said I believe most of them are around 25% speed for this particular piece.

Are you softening the shots in any way? It can be hard to tell on compressed web video but some seem to be soft focus (deliberate, happy accident, filter hard or software, or?)?
Everything about the look of the image is deliberate. No soft focus...just a subtle glow filter on some clips which help smooth out skin tones and brighten whites. I'm big into increasing the contrast of my footage- as I find the stock footage tends to lack richness on the left side of the histogram (blacks).

-->>>
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #12
Major Player

Glen,
Super job and very moving. Just curious, do you revert to a documentary style for the remainder of the event? Also, I think there was one scene where you slowly rotated the camera upright from a dutch angle? Very good, actually amazing, handheld work without a stabilizer.
Bob
Bob Harotunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Bob Harotunian : Glen,
Super job and very moving. Just curious, do you revert to a documentary style for the remainder of the event? Also, I think there was one scene where you slowly rotated the camera upright from a dutch angle? Very good, actually amazing, handheld work without a stabilizer.
Bob -->>>

Actually the majority of the program is documentary or photojournalistic style (however you want to describe it).

I usually include 3 montage style segments such as this: Preceremony (bridal prep), Photosession, and Highlights..at the end.

Thank you.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques