Vignette in adobe premiere pro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 4th, 2005, 10:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Vignette in adobe premiere pro

Hello-
Does anybody know how to create a vignette in premiere pro?
please help......
Old February 5th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

You're kinda asking a loaded question. Do you know how to use Premier? The way that it's phrased is that you don't know your way around the program but want to do something a little more complex that involves timing events to music, etc.

If you want a good idea on a vignette, check out Glen Elliot's latest stuff to get an idea of where to start.
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

vignette in ppro

You are 100% correct. Just barely getting around using ppro. Have seen glen's vignette and have been a fan of his work. But he uses vegas.
That is why I am asking if somebody can re-create the effects that glen uses on his videos using ppro.
1. Vignette effect
2. White glow

Hope Glen does'nt mind......:-)

I have stayed up late messing with ppro with no luck. Layering, masking but can't get it right. I am sure somebody is a guru around here with ppro. Any help for a newbie (me) is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old February 5th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Glen uses Sony Vegas...if you're looking to replicate some of his techniques, you might want to take a look at Vegas instead of Premier. I'm not familiar with Premier, but the effects he uses are standard issue in Vegas ;-)
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

ur not gonna get the glow effect in PP at all. U might get a similar result in after effects though..

vignette, ie, soft feathering teh edges, can be done with a cookie cutter or PIP effect with a featered border.

i was thinking of jumping ship to PP with a matrox rig, but its not worth it considering V6 will be released soon and all my wedding work is now using a bleach bypass with premiere CANNOT do (well it can but it looks shite compared to V5... that and the colour curves are far more advanced thatn premiere ever was...
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 03:39 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Re: vignette in ppro

<<<-- Originally posted by Joven OHara : You are 100% correct. That is why I am asking if somebody can re-create the effects that glen uses on his videos using ppro.
1. Vignette effect
2. White glow

-->>>

From my experience, you can do these easily with third party plugins in Premiere.

You can create a vignette in AE pretty easily using a matte and then softening the edges. I am led to believe you could do the same thing in PPro.

However, the easiest to use vignette effect in PPro that I've seen is with Magic Bullet w/Editors.

For glow, I would recommend Film FX by BigFX or Digital Film Tools. <---- Does a kickass Bleach Bypass too :)
Walter S. Chelliah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 10:52 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Re: vignette in ppro

<<<-- Originally posted by Joven OHara : You are 100% correct. Just barely getting around using ppro. -->>>

I highly recommend you watch the free tutorial videos over at Wrigley Video to get the basics down.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 11:18 AM   #8
Wrangler

Re: Vignette in adobe premiere pro

<<<-- Originally posted by Joven OHara : Hello-
Does anybody know how to create a vignette in premiere pro?
please help...... -->>>

I haven't been a premiere user since 6.0 but I believe you can replicate a similar look without having to go into AE or purchase 3rd-party plugins.

The vignetting I used doesn't "soften" the edges it darkens them. PPro supports tansparancy so why not just create a manual vignette in Photoshop and import it to a track above your video in PPro. You won't have as much flexability other than opacity but if you need the vignette to bleed in further or the opposite direction- you can go back out and change the file in photoshop and it should auto-update in PPro.

Regarding the "glow". I thought PPro had a photoshop'like "Diffusion" filter.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #9
Major Player

nothing to buy ... you have it in PPro!

When you register your copy of PPro, you can get the Magic Bullet Film Looks as a free download. Once these are installed, there is an easter egg in there. Go to the website and you get a few more freebies, the most important being Black Diffusion. This will place your work right at the top for the soft glow you seek. Couple that with Proc Amp (included in PPro) and you have perfect control with stunning results.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 12:31 PM   #10
New Boot

Jimmy,

How do I get to that easter egg you are talking about. Thanks in advance!
Anita Hu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:35 PM   #11
Major Player

it really isn't buried but...

Since the effect controls window can sometimes crop out details, some folks might not click on "more info". From there you will see a hotlinked banner ad for 5 more free "looks". This is all within the Movie Looks effect controls window in Premiere.

You're welcome after the fact.

Jimmy.
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #12
New Boot

Thanks!!!
Anita Hu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques