Audio Mixer for the ceremony? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #1
Major Player

Audio Mixer for the ceremony?

Has anyone tried or used their own audio mixer during a ceremony? I am considering picking up a used 12 channel board to rid myself of audio editing hours. Since I used to run a soundboard, I miss being able to EQ and make level changes on the fly. And the idea of having all of my mics coming in through one source, instead of 3 separate cameras, makes sense--its much easier to match the audio. Plus the preamps on a good board will beat out most offerings from Beacktek. I understand that there will be more set up time involved, but Id rather spend more time in pre and lest time in post where doing little things like this burns my creativity.

I've also wondered about a board like the new Mackie Onyx series, with the firewire board going into my laptop. that seems like a great sound setup, unless I am missing something (like AC power).

Any advice from someone whos walked this road?
Patrick
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

You have time to mix sound and run a camera at the same time?

You really want to set up all the extra equipment?

You won't be using any ambient camera sound?

Honestly, my NLE does a great job at multi-track audio editing so it's never been an issue.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 12:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Well, my wife and I work together which means that one of us works two cameras while the other works one. So if one person can handle two cameras, why not a camera and a board? Actually I've done it before and its not all that difficult when a tripod is used (eyes for video, ears for sound).

Already im setting up various mics, although now they're wired into a camera. This way they would all be wired into a board where one person can do all of the audio monitoring/mixing live. If I could get a good mix live (vocal mics, house mics, ambient mics, etc.) thats less time in post. The really interesting idea would be a digital board (with multiple recording tracks) mixed into surround sound for that huge upsell--a lot of work, but possible.

The cameras whould then be using their mics for ambient sound and I could always mix them back in later if needed/wanted. But you're right, it would take an additonal 20 min setup (if AC is nearby). Thats the tradeoff...
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #4
Major Player

Patrick your on the right track for some excellent audio on the fly. The board will help you in every way that you've described. You'll find that you save yourself a lot of time like you thought. I know that computers can mix just fine but it's a time issue and not just a quality issue.

Leave yourself an extra 45-60 min. for setup rather than 20.

Running a camera and doing a main mix is possible but you have to be ready for tranistions. When a song starts playing you need to be ready to smoothly adjust to the correct sources. And on the camera end you'll want to frame your shot and hold it.

I suggest raising your prices a couple hundred dollars and hiring a second camera operator for just the ceremony. They can help you with setup and then run the camera while you run the board. After the ceremony they can help pack up and then they are done.

I run this type of setup at every wedding and I use a dedicated audio tech to set up the gear and do the mix. It really works well.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #5
Inner Circle

i use a nice lil berhinger 1622 console for portable work :) works a treat and the audio is rock solid. I can move around and get shots from any angle without fear of missing anything. I usually hook it up to their main audio (if they have one, else i run wireless mics from as many vantage poitns as possible. that audio is then fed into a fixed camera with XLR inputs (depends on what i have free in the shop. recently its been an DVC30 with the XLR Balun) , and all cams are then locked in sync in post with a camera flash.

I only do this to the big weddings due to time and set up requirements. basically theyre budget will determine the level of production.
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques