Red glow problem recording opera performance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 11th, 2005, 10:17 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Red glow problem recording opera performance

I used a GL2 with UV and Tiffen Soft/FX 3 filters to record an opera performance. Not having seen the production before, I had no clue as to what the lighting was.

Everything was fine except when the red lights came on as key, backlight or background. Everybody had a pronounced red glow emanating from their entire body, much like an energy field. Under every other lighting color - shades of blue, shades of green and white, there was no such hazy glow.

Could I have done anything to minimize this?
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

Sounds like some sort of flare issue. Depending on the offending lights location you might have been able to alleviate it with a change in camera location or a larger lense hood. Both of which, I know, are impractical...knowing you set up on your tripod/etc prior to the show start.

I'm sure the Tiffen Soft/FX filter perpetuated this visual abnormality as well.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 10:34 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Out in the house

I figured the filter was a contributing factor, but am puzzled as to why it is sensitive to red only.

I was out in the house, some 75 feet from the stage. The lights were all located over the stage, or perhaps in the ceiling and catwalk over the orchestra pit, slightly in front of the stage.
David Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Major Player

I've done around 7 dance recitals with my GL-1 and have noticed that it is really sensitive to red light. What's worse is that most dance companies want to use red a lot. I once had a dance group that had shiny red outfits with nothing but red light. OUCH! The only thing that I have found is in post, I can turn down the saturation a little seems to take out the red glow. It may or maynot make a noticeable difference in the rest of the video. You could experiment with the settings in the camera that control color a little. Good luck.
David Stoneburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Have a look at the chroma level on a vectorscope (hopefully your NLE was one) The reds are most likely way over saturated.

Most theatre lighting is a real pain for video as there is never enough base light, their white light is never white enough or bright enough (some fixtures are only 2900 degrees K).

I don't know what the cause is but yea, I would suggest pulling the chroma down at least to video legal range and see what that does.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques