Audio Recording for Weddings - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 20th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #16
Major Player

So does anyone one know the answer to Chris' question in the previous post? I also would like to know.

Thanks,
Scott
Scott Shama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #17
Major Player

Scott & Chris

I have the A frequency range. Someone told me you can go to Sennheisers web site and they have a list of open frequencies based on which city you are in.

From my experience it seems that more churches have wirelesses in the 700 range than the 500 range.

I have the older EW 100s, but I have also heard that the G2 will scan for open frequencies.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions
www.TulsaWeddingVideos.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2005, 03:05 PM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Wright : I heard somewhere that the Senn G2 system can scan through all the channels and pick the useable frequencies for you. Is this true? -->>>

Chris,

Yes, it is true. For more info on this, you can download the EW100 G2 Operators Manual from the Sennheiser web site.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2005, 07:42 PM   #19
Major Player

Well, I missed your original post due to being out of town, so I won't make any suggestions regarding what you should purchase. Indeed, the posts in that regard have significant merit.
However, how you use that gear is important. Here are a few things I have learned after 23 years in the meetings and conventions industry as a professional audio/visual technician:
1. A microphone placed 10 feet away from a person will sound like a microphone 10 feet from that person. Place that mic within 18 inches and you will be in a whole new world of audio...that sounds real! So place your wireless lav's 6-12' from the sound source - no more.
2. Because of the reflective nature of interior walls (particularly if they are ol plaster or stone), shotgun mics have an odd quality if they are more than 3 or 4 feet from the sound source. Outside, where there are no reflective walls, shotguns are magic.
3. If you are using more than one mic., an audio mixer is the greatest thing since sliced bread.
4. If you try to use a mic outside its designed parameters you are in for an adventure...which is not always pleasant.
5. Murphy has a particular obsession with wireless microphones.
6. When you get good audio you have a sense of heaven.
7. Good video without good audio is like being a good waiter and no tip.

Good audio is a pet peeve of mine. I am no guru. What I have shared is what I have learned the hard way, without benefit of electronic engineering knowledge. Do a search both here and www.videouniversity.com, wedding video forum, on either "wireless microphones'". wireless mics", or my name. I've said a lot. Hopefully, some of what I have written will be of use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques