How much time spent on post production at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How much time spent on post production

I'm just getting started in wedding videography. I'm curious about how much time you guys spend on all the post production process. Can you give me a feel for the number of hours involved up to the point of delivering the product. Maybe break it down by ceremony, reception, etc. since there is a wide variety of packages sold to clients. I know in the begining my hours will be huge. Thanks for any feedback you can give me on this. - Jeff
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Inner Circle

delivery..
well .. mm.. capturing, reviewing, cutting then fine tuning.. refinign, filtering, got theres so much
Depending on the project.. anything between 40 to 120 hours.. depending on max duration , and other elements such as highlight clips and mucis clips etc etc

Then theres image capture, DVD and box design covers, highlgihts etc etc

when starting out.. give it 100hours to get ur head around it..
once u get that, drop it by 20hrs per project until ur up to the 40hr mark.. maybe less if your footage is shot specifically for editing (ie, not recorded for long form or recorded by someone who is recording EVERYTHING)

apart from that the only thing slowing you down is your manner in which u put your creative juices to the baord.. (ie learning editing combinations and techniques which work for you :) )

good luck with it!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:09 PM   #3
Major Player

Makes you wanna rethink your prices, doesn't it ??
Old February 15th, 2005, 10:47 PM   #4
Inner Circle

now THAT is the truest comment i have heard by a mile.. every day i rethink my prices as demands change..
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #5
Wrangler

I'm an abnormally slow and meticulous editor. My average wedding productions exceeds 60 hours. I spend around 10 hours on a 3 minute highlight montage. I put about 5 hours into the DVD menu and insert designs.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi Jeff

Our rule of thumb is for ever hour of coverage we can expect about 10 hrs. in post production, from capture to completion (burning the DVD). So for a 6.5 hour day, we spend about 65 hours; for an 8 hours day, we spend about 80 hours, and so on. Of course if they add extras, like a photo montage, etc. there's more time involved, but that's our "average" for wedding edits.
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

If Peter is on target, then I am right on the money. My second video will have taken me, I anticipate, 80 hours before the DVD is designed. I have been so concerned about the time involved and I hope to cut the time down somehow in the future without affecting the quality of the product.

I wonder if so many editors started out with the idea of making the absolute best product each and every time out but reality set in and forced compromise on their part when they realized what their hourly rate truly was and that they had no life beyond editing. Geez, I don't think I have seen how blue the sky is for months. I get home from work and head to the editing suite.

I am hoping to one day get to a price point where it pays me to continue to try to do that wonderful video that involves so many hours of editing. When I attend meeting where the general consensus is that most videographers spend 30-40 hours on a video I wonder if they can crank out a quality video in that time or if there is something I am doing wrong.
Charley Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I wanted to start this discussion because I was starting to realize that this wedding business probably isn't where people go to make big money on an hourly basis. I think you have to really enjoy it and have a passion for the creative side of it. I know the hours won't keep me from pursuing this work. So far I really enjoy it. I'm sure there are other more cookie-cutter events that can produce more monetary return.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques