Does anyone shoot funeral videos for a living? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old February 27th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #16
Regular Crew

No, i didn't charge them, it was just new expirience...
My advice is, again, to keep it decent. That means variety of nice still shots, don't dramatize with camera movements. Use tripod if possible. Dont do too much closeups, since people dont like to see themselves crying... I think MX5000 is very good camera to start. Good luck!
Old February 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #17
Outer Circle

Quote:
Can I ask what percentage the funeral home gets? I've seen where videographers will produce a photo montage and show that at the wake, but I've never heard of a videographer actually video taping the funeral itself. You wouldn't happen to have a demo that you could share??
The home gets 1/2 or less, depending on what is arranged (just the service, service and burial, etc). Funeral videos are common in Canada and in many other parts of the world. I don't know what's common in the USA---and I assume it's different in different parts. How can I share a funeral video? You'd have to drop by, but then you might end up crying or getting morbid'd-out. I keep all the miniDV tapes with footage just in case "they" what another VHS tape copy; NTSC or PAL.

Low light is always a problem. I can get by with my 2 old JVC DVL9500Us. A VX2100 would be much better---or an XL1s. I don't think that an MX5000 would cut it. It requires too much light. I would look for an older model miniDV cam such as a Optura 100MC or a PV-DV852 (MX8, MX1000 in Japan).
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 08:00 PM   #18
Major Player

Thanks for the input.

Frank, how much do you usually charge for each funeral video?

I wouldn't worry too much about low-light problems because I now have a noise reduction software, and most funeral homes happen to be well lit. But I'm going to purchase a new cam in two years from now. (the FX1 or the DVCPRO-HD cam from Panasonic)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #19
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Frank Granovski : How can I share a funeral video? You'd have to drop by, but then you might end up crying or getting morbid'd-out. -->>>

Can you post one on the web? Living down here in Florida (avg age 57 in my town), weddings are not much of a business, but we have plenty of funerals. I would love to see one to get ideas on how it is done.

If you don't have web capabilities, I would post it for you (WMV?) for a couple of weeks if you like. I have some spare bandwidth right now.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #20
Outer Circle

John, I can't post one on the web.
Quote:
Frank, how much do you usually charge for each funeral video?
My cut is usually $220. That's for the 1/2 hour service (or thereabouts) and the burial (about 15 to 25 minutes).

I start shooting before the sevice starts. I try to get in about 5 to 10 minutes---of the casket, body, flowers, etc etc. There's no need to dub audio because there's always elevator type music being piped in.

Of course you can charge more. For me it's just steady part-time work which help pay the bills.
Old February 28th, 2005, 08:41 AM   #21
Major Player

Frank, So you just do a straight dub to VHS and you are done? No editing, no DVD, no titles, no music added?
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2005, 02:54 PM   #22
Outer Circle

That's right. I don't even add titles or anything, but I do make top and spine labels for the VHS tape and put it in a clear cover case. I buy these cases about 50 at a time and they cost me about $0.87 each. Plus all the VHS decks I get for free. I just found 2 more very good ones last week. People keep putting them in the lanes with little signs on them saying, "Works." People keep going cold turkey once they've bought a DVD player, or so it seems. My 2 AIWAS were just under $900 each, though. That includes taxes and extra warranty.
Old August 20th, 2005, 09:11 PM   #23
Tourist

Hi - saw your question, and thought I better answer since funeral videos is over half of what I do in video. Please visit my web site www.memoryvision.tv for more information about what I do, and a sample of my work. Please email me with any questions to: anaumann@mn.rr.com. Thanks for your interst. Alan
Alan Naumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 07:36 AM   #24
Major Player

Very nice site Alan.

I have to admit that the subject matter is a bit morbid but when I see Alan's site I can really see the value in it for some people.

Quote:t "my cut is $220"

...ummm ...I wouldn't ever want to take advantage of someone who just cashed in a $200k life insurance policy but that being said, I would find it difficult to get out of bed for $220. I'm thinking that not only do you have the funeral day itself but also editing and you must have some sort of consultation with the customer? It doesn't quite add up does it?

Is someone else out there doing better financially providing this kind of service?
Craig Terott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM   #25
Major Player

hmmm... I guess the lack of responses to my query, sorta answers my question.
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #26
Major Player

The silence is deafening.
Old August 24th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I had never heard of doing funerals until I saw this thread. Monday I saw a local funeral director so I asked him what they do. He said a local wedding videographer does theirs for $300.00. This takes about an hour and a half and he does not edit or and titles.

Sam
Sam Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #28
Major Player

No editing? What else don't they do? Souds amaturish.

I'm thinking there's a market for a higher-end production that's more polished and professional. That same funeral home possibly could be offered by you, a $1200 version? It's all how they pitch it. They say to the folks, we've got this one guy that charges $300 and we've also got this other company that does a more masterful job and charges $1200. I would think there are plenty of people that would opt for the more expensive production... probably the same one's who chose the $6,000 casket.
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:10 AM   #29
Major Player

Let us know how it goes.
Old August 25th, 2005, 10:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Terott
... probably the same one's who chose the $6,000 casket.
No reflection on anyone else, but I've left strict order to plant me in a plain ol' pine box. Talk about throwing money down a rat hole! In the event my orders are not carried out, I will come back and haunt the person responsible!

I shot a memorial service about two years ago. Very strange. The mom kept changing things and wanting things added (including an animated photo montage). The final bill was over $2,500. That was totally her call.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques