Low light on a Sony HD1000U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old September 15th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #1
Major Player

Low light on a Sony HD1000U?

I am considering buying a Sony HD1000U for my weddings. I've read up on it some and my main concern would be its low light performance/single CMOS sensor. Would purchasing a LPMICRO Micro LED Light (dimmable) help with this problem? I currently don't have any external lighting. The main draws to the camera are the shoulder mount (professional appearance) and the price. I can't go above $2000, but am willing to buy used.
Michael Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

IIRC there was a thread about this but short answer, because the camera is a 1 chip (cmos) it will suffer some in low light situations but, you can kick the gain a bit to say 6 and with a light it should be fine in most situations.
I've using the LPMicro since it came out and here's the thing. Because it's a 25W it works fine with my PD170s but with a 1 chip HDV camera it MIGHT be a bit short of power. If you want something like it look at the LPMicro Pro which is 55W dimmable and has a better stronger shoe than the LPMicro. Oh yeah, it's about $100 more than the Micro but more than 2x the power.

Don't forget batteries for the camera.
Old September 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Michael

I nearly bought the HD1000 but decided to stay with Panasonic HMC70's the low light performance on these cams are way better and if your edit system cannot handle AVCHD format then you can get a transcoder from Panasonic free. I shoot weddings on 2 x HMC72's (PAL versions) and they have audio to die for too!!! (Full manual and twin XLR's)
I actually transcode the AVCHD directly down to SD and edit that and the results are awesome!!! Once people start buying BluRay players I can give them HD but that doesn't seem likely for a few years!! The Panasonics are a way better build and are under $2000!!

If you still decide on the HD1000 then consult with Bryan here first in the Sony HD1000 forum...he can give you very valuable tips on the gain but you have to run the cam in manual as it shoots up the gain way too high in low-light. Bryan will tell you how!!!
I was told on another forum that the downconvert to SD is poor so you had better check that aspect too...it was only 2nd hand information!!!

I still use my DIY LED Video light on my cameras when they turn off all the lights during the first dance so it's wise to have one whatever camera you get...there is a thread right here on LED lights too!!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Very extensive discussion on this and all other things HD1000-related in the HD1000 forum. Everything you need is there.

Last edited by Adam Gold; September 16th, 2009 at 02:36 PM.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 02:13 PM   #5
Major Player

Hey Michael,

There is a whole forum here dedicated to this camera if you want to check it out..

however from my experience Lighting is HD1000u's best friend. It is horrible in low lighting (and almost impossible to use on a glidecam), but with the right editing tools you can get pretty decent results.

We have 2 of them we use for weddings...good bang for your buck
Our lighting consists of 2 10ft Amnova lights and the $500 Sony HVL on camera light.

Ken
Vertical Video Works | Official Site
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques