Why join WEVA? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 2nd, 2005, 01:22 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why join WEVA?

I was going to put this in the Event videography section, but since it didn't pertain to technique, I'll put it here....

Is there any reason why I should join WEVA? At $185, I don't see that a magazine is really worth it...I suppose you get 'secret' forums, but are they THAT much better than dvinfo, videohelp, or the Sony forums? The only way I can validate joining is if I can quantify what the benefits...

TIA...
Jeremy Rank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 05:42 AM   #2
Major Player

You get to use their logo in your advertising.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM   #3
Major Player

Greetings,

My number one reason for joining was the discounted production insurance.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:37 AM   #4
Sponsor: JET DV

If you go to the convention in Vegas, the price difference between members and non-members pays for the membership. Plus you'd still get any other benefits as well.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Trustee

I joined and have yet to see the benefit. As a matter of fact I had to purchase the "link" on their site to mine - after the inital dues.

In my experience it's not worth it - spend the money and advertise locally where you know people are looking. The WEVA organization is for some and not others. After being a member I don't think it's for me. It's probably one of those things where you need to put time into it and then you'll see some type of ROI. I just don't subscribe to that...if I'm paying $100's of my money I don't really want to fly to Vegas and be pitched to buy more crap.

It's a write-off, so at the very least it's not a complete waste.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:40 AM   #6
Major Player

Jeremy

WEVA has been worth every penny we have spent. In 98 we joined and went to our 1st Expo. At the time we were part-time and charging $600.

7 years later, and after attending 6 Expos we are full-time and averaging a few thousand per wedding and topping out around $7000. I can honestly say without attending the Expos we would not be were we are.

At the Expos we learned, shooting, lighting, audio, editing, sales & marketing, etc...not to mention networking with some of the best in the industry. I guess if you are already at the top of your game and charging what you worth, then the Expos may not be as valuable to you as they are to us, but we still have a lot to learn.

I don't know how close you are to San Francisco, but there is a Town Meeting coming soon. A Town Meeting is like a mini Expo. I would encourage you to attend the San Francisco meeting if you are close enough. It just may answer your questions about WEVA.
Here's a link.
http://www.wevainstitute.com/programmingdetail.asp?cityID=9

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions, Inc
www.TulsaWeddingFilms.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:59 PM   #7
Major Player

Wow, from $600 to $7000. Did you start wedding videography when you were a college student?
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Trustee

Oh wait, I forgot to mention that after you pay for your web link on their site....any changes you need to make (phone number or verbage) is like a $20 fee. That's insane.
Old March 3rd, 2005, 05:14 PM   #9
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Young Lee : Wow, from $600 to $7000. Did you start wedding videography when you were a college student? -->>>

Young

I started our company when I was 30. I studied photography in Junior High School, so I had a basic knowledge of composition, depth of field, etc, but no formal video training. My video training came from WEVA.

For me, WEVA is not about getting brides to contact me because I have a link on the WEVA sight or they see the WEVA logo on my website. A logo doesn't make you good or even qualified to shoot and edit a wedding.

Studying the craft from people that are better than you is what can make you better. I'm always looking for ways to get better, because once I think I have arrived, then I'm in trouble.

All My Best,
Mark Von Lanken
Picture This Productions, Inc
www.TulsaWeddingFilms.com
Mark Von Lanken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2005, 06:21 PM   #10
Major Player

Thank you Mark. Guess I'm not too late to think about starting my wedding/funeral video company. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Good point Mark. Its greatest worth is probably the resources, access to training, education, and other folks like you!

Who, outside of videography circles has ever heard of WEVA? I don't know of any brides that use those letters for a search term. When I've Googled, they'll show up in the first page or two, but it's not the W-E-V-A that catches my attention, and probably not theirs either.
Dave Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2005, 09:27 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Although I'm not a WEVA member, I've exhibited at the yearly WEVA Expo in Vegas for several years and have observed something very interesting. Of all the smaller industry-related shows of this type (discounting the mammoth NAB of course), my impression was that WEVA had the fewest number of freaks and the highest number of bonafide working videographers of the trade shows I've done (which is practically all of 'em). ShowBiz Expo draws the filmmaking crowd, but the WEVA attendees are the ones who run a day-to-day business exclusively in video. There's less nonsense at a WEVA Expo, and a higher grade of attendence plus a higher bang-for-buck experience than I've encountered anywhere.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:49 AM   #13
Regular Crew

WEVA looks interesting, it's a shame that it mostly seems to be US based. They do not seem as active here in the UK, or I might have considered it myself. I know that an aquaintence of mine Jan Fenton and her company 'The Experience' won something like a 'International Gold Award' and an 'Ambassador Award', but they do operate on that side of the pond too.

I cannot see how it would be beneficial to me.

Chrome
Association of Professional Videomakers (UK) www.apv.org.uk
Megalith TV www.megalith.tv
Stephen M. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2005, 07:00 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I went to my first WEVA event this week- the town meeting in Atlanta. It was positive, educational and very inspriational. There were a lot of amazingly talented videographers showing their work and sharing everything from shooting techniques to marketing ideas. The real strength of WEVA is the interaction and sharing among members.
Old March 12th, 2005, 12:14 PM   #15
Major Player

A win-win strategy that is. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques