Wedding Videography at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 8th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #1
Major Player

Wedding Videography

Finally I got the opportunity to shoot a wedding video for the first time, and I'll willing to do at least 8 bridal shows for free. What do you think? Do you think it's a wise idea?

Thanks. :)
Young Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Does this mean you are going to do 8 wedding videos for free or 8 wedding shows or something else? I don't quite follow.

Chrome
Association of Professional Videomakers (UK) www.apv.org.uk
Megalith TV www.megalith.tv
Stephen M. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Wrangler

I think he means he's going to do 8 weddings for free. It can't be "bridal shows" because they actually COST money.

I'd suggest doing 1 or 2 for free and then start charging a very low fee until you feel comfortable and are able to produce a product that is worthy of a higher price tag.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 01:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, 8 for free, thats quite a workload without pay.

2 or 3 and you should have things down enough to satisfy people looking for budget videography

Just let them know your starting out and thats why your prices are low and they should understand.
Josh Hibbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 02:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I agree with Josh, Do 2 or 3 as freebies max. Give them the 'full service' and film as much as you possibly can; really knock youself out to give them the very best (you want referrals).
My advice (FWIW) is to make sure to do the 'Bride's Preparations' and try to get a 'Groom's Prep.' as well from one of the weddings at least. I try to make the Bride Preps romantic (but not in an old fashioned or 'tacky' way), and the grooms a bit funny or funky. That will give you enough material to build a fairly good reel and also to show that you're flexible.

I have not done many weddings either but I charged from the very first one (bargain rate though).

What I find 'sells' my services is the 'Brides Prep.' and 'Montage' more than anything. I have recently started visiting prospective clients in their own homes. I start by showing them a montage of one of my recent weddings set to music, then follow with the start of one of my films (typically the Brides Prep.) and almost always they have usually agreed to hire me by the end of the Brides prep. Currently running on 100% conversion on the visits I have made (4). Get this... one of them agreed to hire me before I told them how much I charged!!

HTH

Chrome
Association of Professional Videomakers (UK) www.apv.org.uk
Megalith TV www.megalith.tv
Stephen M. Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the correction, Glen. Yeah, I was thinking about doing at least 8 weddings for free. I feel that I really need some practice before actually starting out my wedding (and funeral) videography business.

Thank you very much for the suggestions and tips. I'll charge like $400 or more when I think I'm ready. (maybe after doing 3-4 weddings) Of course, I don't want to stay cheap forever because I want to make a living with doing weddings.
Young Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques