problem with slideshow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques

Wedding / Event Videography Techniques
Shooting non-repeatable events: weddings, recitals, plays, performances...

Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

problem with slideshow

I'm having a problem resizing certain photos for my first slideshow. When I try to make some of the photos 720 x 480, they become stretched. To counter this, in Photoshop, I use the fit image command to constrain the photo to 720 x 480, then adjust the canvas size to the same size. This creates a black border on the left and right size and keeps the photo from becoming stretched.

I'm just wondering if the boarders will make the slideshow appear to be amateurish? Is there a better way to resize the photos in photoshop?
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Make them 655x480 instead. Then they will be the proper aspect since video pixels aren't square.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Try sizing your pix in Photoshop at 720x540. This is 4x3 aspect ratio and when you import to the nle, they will likely remain that way at PAR of 1.0
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 05:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I use photoshop cs, so I can set the photos to the proper pixel aspect ratio and just use the normal frame size.

I'm having the problem with the little wallet sized portrait photos. They become squished. I'm scanning them a little larger than I need so that there's enough resolution to touch them up and then downsample.

So far the black border is the only way I've been able to keep it looking normal.
Deniz Turkmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2005, 06:54 PM   #5
Major Player

...but always be mindful that the extra size of a photo gives you many more options instead of just filling the screen. My preference is 1440x1080 for the import to nle so there is much room for motion.

As for portrait orientation, the black bars left and right are fine... often retaining the tattered edges of the pix looks nice and vintage...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques